Forum: Ruby deleting from hash question

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Ryan W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-17 13:32
I'm a ruby newbie and have what is probably a relatively simple problem
I'm trying to solve (though I'm using rails, this is more a ruby
question). Say that I created a hash:

TASKS = {
    "homework" => "Do Your Homework",
    "chores" => "Your Have Chores",
    "exercise" => "Don't Forget to Exercise"
  }

and then I had an Assignment model with:

def self.find_assignments(person)
    find(:all, :conditions => ["person_id = ?", person .id])
end

Which I called in the controller like so:

@current_assignments = Assignment.find_assignments(@person)

So, @current_assignments works fine. Now, the problem. I want to display
the tasks which have NOT yet been assigned (so that they can be assigned
if desired). In the assignments table, I have a column called 'tasks'
which correlates with the keys in the TASKS hash. So I just want to
remove any key=>value pairs from TASKS that match with the 'tasks'
column in @current_assignment and then loop through the resulting new
hash in the view.

I'm at a loss as how best to do this. It must be something so simple
it's eluding me. Any suggestions?
James G. (Guest)
on 2006-03-17 16:28
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 17, 2006, at 5:32 AM, Ryan W. wrote:

>
> and then I had an Assignment model with:
>
> def self.find_assignments(person)
>     find(:all, :conditions => ["person_id = ?", person .id])

Just FYI, Rails's dynamic finder methods are probably a little
cleaner way to do the above:

find_all_by_person_in(person.id)

> if desired). In the assignments table, I have a column called 'tasks'
> which correlates with the keys in the TASKS hash. So I just want to
> remove any key=>value pairs from TASKS that match with the 'tasks'
> column in @current_assignment and then loop through the resulting new
> hash in the view.
>
> I'm at a loss as how best to do this. It must be something so simple
> it's eluding me. Any suggestions?

How about something like:

todo = Hash[ *TASKS.reject do |name, desc|
   @current_assignments.any? { |assign| assign.tasks == name }
end.flatten ]

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II
Ryan W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-17 21:03
> Just FYI, Rails's dynamic finder methods are probably a little
> cleaner way to do the above:
>
> find_all_by_person_in(person.id)

Yep. I totally flaked on that. Thanks!

> How about something like:
>
> todo = Hash[ *TASKS.reject do |name, desc|
>    @current_assignments.any? { |assign| assign.tasks == name }
> end.flatten ]

Okay... this seems to work fine right up to the .flatten
I created a method in my model like so:

def self.get_unassigned(assigned)
    Hash[ *TASKS.reject do |name, desc|
          assigned.any? { |assign| assign.task == name }
          end.flatten ]
end

with "assigned" being @currently_assigned.

Rails is giving me:

NoMethodError in Admin#show

undefined method `flatten' for {"homework"=>"Do Your Homework!"}:Hash

At least it's correctly eleminating the already assigned tasks. Any idea
why I'm getting thrown this exception on a standard ruby method? It seem
to happen to me a lot.
James G. (Guest)
on 2006-03-17 21:17
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Ryan W. wrote:

>     Hash[ *TASKS.reject do |name, desc|
> undefined method `flatten' for {"homework"=>"Do Your Homework!"}:Hash
This is me being dumb and not realizing how clever Ruby is.  You can
drop the flatten() and the Hash[] call:

TASKS.reject do |name, desc|
   assigned.any? { |assign| assign.task == name }
end

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II
Ryan W. (Guest)
on 2006-03-17 21:42
James G. wrote:
> You can
> drop the flatten() and the Hash[] call:
>
> TASKS.reject do |name, desc|
>    assigned.any? { |assign| assign.task == name }
> end

That did it, thanks! You've been a HUGE help!
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.