Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing MySql using Ruby Gems

Jimmy B. (Guest)
on 2006-03-17 04:03
I'm using Kubuntu Breezy and I'm trying to install MySql using Ruby I'm
using ruby 1.8.3 and gem 0.8.11

#####
jimmyb@scooter:~$ sudo gem install mysql
Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
Local gem file not found: mysql*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'mysql'
extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
        from extconf.rb:1
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7
for inspection.
  ruby extconf.rb install mysql\n

Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out
#####

The gem_make.out file has only one line:
ruby extconf.rb install mysql

I opened the file 'extconf.rb' and commented out the required file
'mkmf'
but I get the same error.

Any suggestions?
Alex Y. (Guest)
Jimmy Brock wrote:
> I'm using Kubuntu Breezy and I'm trying to install MySql using Ruby I'm
> using ruby 1.8.3 and gem 0.8.11
<snip>
> I opened the file 'extconf.rb' and commented out the required file
> 'mkmf'
> but I get the same error.
>
> Any suggestions?

Did you sudo apt-get install ruby1.8-dev?
André Medeiros (Guest)
on 2006-03-23 21:26
Alex Y. wrote:
> Jimmy Brock wrote:
>> I'm using Kubuntu Breezy and I'm trying to install MySql using Ruby I'm
>> using ruby 1.8.3 and gem 0.8.11
> <snip>
>> I opened the file 'extconf.rb' and commented out the required file
>> 'mkmf'
>> but I get the same error.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Did you sudo apt-get install ruby1.8-dev?

That solved my problem.

Thanks a LOT!