Forum: Ruby ERB question

Robert D. La Gesse (Guest)
Can anyone tell me what the difference is in these two statements?  Yes,
I'm a newbie!

<%=h device.send(column.name) %>

<%= device.send(column.name) %>

Specifically, what is the <%=h supposed to do?  The "h" doesn't appear
to do anything that I can find, yet RoR generates code using it...

Thanks much!

Rob
Markus W. (Guest)
Robert D. La Gesse wrote:
> Thanks much!
>
> Rob

h is a short form for is a short form for the method html_escape.

So IMHO it's more clear to write something like
<%= h(device.send(column.name)) %>

cu

polarix
Daniel H. (Guest)
On Mar 16, 2006, at 6:03 PM, Robert D. La Gesse wrote:

> Thanks much!
>
> Rob

See: http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToEscapeHTML

-- Daniel
Robert D. La Gesse (Guest)
Markus W. wrote:

> cu
>
> polarix

OK, I guess that's clear enough... but it doesn't actually seem to make
any difference if the "h" is in there or not.  And I can't seem to
determine why Ruby on Rails sometimes generates code with the "h", and
sometimes it doesn't :)

Thank,

Rob
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 16, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Robert D. La Gesse wrote:

>>> Specifically, what is the <%=h supposed to do?  The "h" doesn't
>> polarix
> OK, I guess that's clear enough... but it doesn't actually seem to
> make any difference if the "h" is in there or not.  And I can't
> seem to determine why Ruby on Rails sometimes generates code with
> the "h", and sometimes it doesn't :)

Try:

and:

James Edward G. II