Forum: Ruby on Rails How install Ruby on Rails WITHOUT MySQL

Maricruz S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-16 17:31
Hi:

I am trying for first time Ruby on Rails. So, I do not nothing about it.

I tried to install it but It gave me the following errors:

16/03 10:08:56 Instant Rails: Servers starting
16/03 10:08:57 Apache : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
path specified. (3)
16/03 10:09:01 MySql  : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
file specified. (2)
16/03 10:09:29 Instant Rails: Servers starting
16/03 10:09:30 Apache : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
path specified. (3)
16/03 10:09:37 MySql  : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
file specified. (2)
16/03 10:09:52 Instant Rails: Stop the Servers

1) I am a Windows user and I am not interested on run Apache.
2) I do not want to install MySQL in my computer because I want to
connect to a db (mysql) created by a colleague, and work with him.

How this can be solved?

Thanks in advance,

Mary
Sean L. (Guest)
on 2006-03-16 18:16
Maricruz,

It looks like you are trying to install InstantRails, not Rails.
You should install in a directory tree with no spaces in the name. For
instance don't use a directory like 'C:\my rails test programs\',
instead try 'C:\my_rails_test_programs\'.

Or better yet, just use 'C:\test\' or C:\work\'

This is covered here:
http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Get...

Instant rails will get you up and running quickly on Windows. The
documentation is pretty good at the site:
http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

You will probably need a database to do Rails work. It is easier to do
with a DB than without. Instant rails has mySQL included. Instant rails
also has PHPmyadmin to make working with mySQL a point and click affair,
until you get more comfortable with the more efficient and powerful
command line utilities.

You will not need Apache to start out, Webrick should do.

If you want to install Rails seperately, go here:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnWindows

and follow the "Installing the components individually" path.

If you are on Windows NT/XP, Instant rails is the easiest route to
follow. I would advise you to work out these errors and stick with
instant rails

Maricruz Silva-Ramos wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am trying for first time Ruby on Rails. So, I do not nothing about it.
>
> I tried to install it but It gave me the following errors:
>
> 16/03 10:08:56 Instant Rails: Servers starting
> 16/03 10:08:57 Apache : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
> path specified. (3)
> 16/03 10:09:01 MySql  : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
> file specified. (2)
> 16/03 10:09:29 Instant Rails: Servers starting
> 16/03 10:09:30 Apache : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
> path specified. (3)
> 16/03 10:09:37 MySql  : Cannot run server : The system cannot find the
> file specified. (2)
> 16/03 10:09:52 Instant Rails: Stop the Servers
>
> 1) I am a Windows user and I am not interested on run Apache.
> 2) I do not want to install MySQL in my computer because I want to
> connect to a db (mysql) created by a colleague, and work with him.
>
> How this can be solved?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mary
Sean L. (Guest)