Forum: Ruby on Rails O'Reilly Rails Cookbook on Rough Cuts

Sean H. (Guest)
Subject says it all.  Anybody taken a look yet?

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/railsckbk/?CMP=ILC-...

After buying the Ruby Cookbook and the other Rails book, I'm pretty
gunshy about another Rough Cuts purchase.

Sean
Tim C. (Guest)
What's in the ruby cookbook?
Julian L. (Guest)
It's good if you want to do more than the Rails book shows you.

A lot of it is 1.1 stuff.

Julian.
Tim C. (Guest)
Anybody have the Pragmatic cookbook and the O'Reilly cookbook and
willing to
do a comparison?  (Do really need two cookbooks?)
Bill G. (Guest)
On 3/15/06, Sean H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Subject says it all.  Anybody taken a look yet?
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/railsckbk/?CMP=ILC-...
>
> After buying the Ruby Cookbook and the other Rails book, I'm pretty
> gunshy about another Rough Cuts purchase.

I've been reviewing it (the authors put out a call for reviewers a
while back [1]), and so far, it's been excellent.  It's well written,
and it covers a huge range of topics [2].

I haven't tried the Rough Cuts program, so can't comment on that, but
I'm definitely looking forward to the print edition.

Ruby puts the 'fun' in programming, the Ruby Cookbook puts the 'fu' in
fun :)

[1] http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/...
[2] http://www.crummy.com/writing/RubyCookbook/#outline

> Sean

Bill G. (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".
Hammed M. (Guest)
Thanks for the links Bill but the OP was asking about the RAILS
cookbook.
Any info on that? I can't seem to find the table of contents on the
O'Reilly
site.

Hammed

On 3/15/06, Bill G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I've been reviewing it (the authors put out a call for reviewers a
> [2] http://www.crummy.com/writing/RubyCookbook/#outline
> Bill G. (aka aGorilla)
> The best answer to most questions is "it depends".

Bill G. (Guest)
> Thanks for the links Bill but the OP was asking about the RAILS cookbook.
> Any info on that? I can't seem to find the table of contents on the O'Reilly
> site.

Yes, my mistake.  Obviously my mind is on the other book, and I just
scanned the subject.

> > > After buying the Ruby Cookbook and the other Rails book, I'm pretty
> :)

Bill G. (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".
James L. (Guest)
> Thanks for the links Bill but the OP was asking about the RAILS cookbook.
> Any info on that? I can't seem to find the table of contents on the O'Reilly
> site.

The normal table of contents link seems to be missing.  I had to dig for
it.

http://tinyurl.com/nmrnp

-- James