Forum: Ruby returning p array

rtilley (Guest)
I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's easy
for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
there a better way to do this?

def info
    #create an array
    p array
    return p array
end
Pierre Barbier de Reuille (Guest)
rtilley a écrit :
> I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's
> easy for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array?
> Or is there a better way to do this?
>
> def info
>    #create an array
>    p array
>    return p array
> end
"p" just uses the "inspect" method. Thus you can do that :

def info
 # create an array
  p array
  array.inspect
end

Pierre
rtilley (Guest)
rtilley wrote:
> I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's easy
> for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
> there a better way to do this?
>
> def info
>    #create an array
>    p array
>    return p array
> end

Just to clarify my question... When I create an array like this:

x = Array.new
x.push(1,2,3)

And then write the array to a file, I get a file that reads 123. I would
like a file that looks like this [1, 2, 3] instead.

Thank you,
Brad
Robert K. (Guest)
"rtilley" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's easy
>for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
>there a better way to do this?
>
> def info
>    #create an array
>    p array
>    return p array
> end

This won't work because p returns nil.  Do this

def info
  create_array_somehow.inspect
end

Kind regards

    robert
rtilley (Guest)
Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
> "p" just uses the "inspect" method. Thus you can do that :
>
> def info
> # create an array
>  p array
>  array.inspect
> end
>
> Pierre

Thank you Pierre and Robert. That is exactly what I wanted to do.

> Just to clarify my question... When I create an array like this:
>
> x = Array.new
> x.push(1,2,3)

This can be shortened to

x=[1,2,3]

> And then write the array to a file, I get a file that reads 123. I would
> like a file that looks like this [1, 2, 3] instead.

Do x.inspect or x.join ", "

Kind regards

    robert