Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 1.1 is coming!

Rails-1.1 (Guest)
on 2006-03-15 18:23
"Rails 1.1 is coming" - Feb 26, 2006 post in rails-core

 * http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/55991

Final Drive Candidates (highlighted for review by core members)

 * http://dev.rubyonrails.org/report/19

Potential Rails 1.1 Blockers

 * http://dev.rubyonrails.org/report/10

Did you know you can run many different versions of Rails on the same
physical server?  This means you can test the latest version of Rails
without fear.  In a nutshell, go into your rails application directory
and:

 * 'rake freeze_edge' to make that rails app use latest Rails version
 * 'rake unfreeze_rails' undo the above command for that specific rails
app

See http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/EdgeRails

Remember, if you find bugs in the latest version of Rails, please check
for exising bug report before submitting a ticket.
Cody S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-15 18:30
Does anyone know if the engine plugins are being updated to be
compatible with RoR 1.1?
Kevin O. (Guest)
They currently work on Edge, so I would expect them to continue to work
on 1.1.

You do need to make sure you are using the most up to date version of
the engine plugin.

_Kevin
James A. (Guest)
Absolutely -
http://rails-engines.org/wiki/pages/Using+Engines+...

When Rails 1.1 has finished "comin' round the mountain", the Engines
plugin trunk will be branched into /branches/rb_1.1 and tagged
releases and bug fixes made from this branch. The actual trunk will
continue to track with Rails' own trunk.

- james

On 3/15/06, Cody S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Does anyone know if the engine plugins are being updated to be
> compatible with RoR 1.1?
>
> --

* J *
  ~
Richard W. (Guest)

> * 'rake freeze_edge' to make that rails app use latest Rails version
> * 'rake unfreeze_rails' undo the above command for that specific rails app

Is there a way to freeze an app at a certain version of Rails?  I.e.

rake freeze_edge 1.0.12
Steve L. (Guest)
Very close!

rake freeze_edge REVISION=1.0.12

-Steve

On 16 Mar 2006 14:12:44 -0000, Richard W. <
Rails-1.1 (Guest)
on 2006-03-16 17:24
Steve L. wrote:
> Very close!
>
> rake freeze_edge REVISION=1.0.12
>
> -Steve
>
> On 16 Mar 2006 14:12:44 -0000, Richard W. <

Would be nice if that was true.  But there is no 1.0.x--there is only:

1.  various < 1.0 versions
2.  1.0 release
3.  repository REVISION like 3890, 3891, ... (no version number)

So the best we can do is something like:

rake freeze_edge REVISION=3890

The problem is there's no guarantee of backward compatibility when going
from a released version like 1.0 to a newer repository REVISION.
Rick O. (Guest)
On 3/16/06, Steve L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Very close!
>
> rake freeze_edge REVISION=1.0.12
>
> -Steve

Revisions are taken as subversion revisions.

rake freeze_edge REVISION=3823

Look at the tagged revisions if you want to freeze to an official
release.  For instance, rel_1-0-0 is 3303.

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/tags

--
Rick O.
http://techno-weenie.net

"Rails-1.1" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote
in message news:removed_email_address@domain.invalid...
Rick O. (Guest)
On 3/16/06, Jake P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> How do you generate an initial rails directory using the rails command? I
> looked at the list of changes and there seems to be updates to the
> railities.

svn co http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk rails
ruby rails/railties/bin/rails my_app

Substitutde rails for whatever path you check rails out to:

svn co http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk ~/projects/rails
ruby ~/projects/rails/railties/bin/rails my_app

--
Rick O.
http://techno-weenie.net