Forum: Ruby No to_d in BigDecimal

Ashley M. (Guest)
Hi everyone

I'm new to the Ruby bandwagon.  To get warmed up I've took on the gentle
task
of modifiying the PostgreSQL Rails adapter to read and write decimals as
BigDecimals.  Oops bad choice :)  I'm still working on that though, so I
won't post the half-baked patch yet.

Anyway the immediate issue I have is actually simple.  Late last night I
managed to get it reading BigDecimals, but my test case was trying to
call
to_d on the objects I was getting back.  Can't remember why (it was late
-
brain was fried), but I had to open the class and add it in (return
self).

This seems like a strange omission from the BigDecimal class.  Anyone
know if
there's a reason for that?  If not could it be added in?  I'm scared to
touch
it because it's a C library.

Ashley
Kevin B. (Guest)
On Wednesday 15 March 2006 06:02, Ashley M. wrote:
> brain was fried), but I had to open the class and add it in (return self).
>
> This seems like a strange omission from the BigDecimal class.  Anyone know
> if there's a reason for that?  If not could it be added in?  I'm scared to
> touch it because it's a C library.

If you're looking for double, then you're probably looking for to_f
(float).
Dave B. (Guest)
Ashley M. wrote:

> This seems like a strange omission from the BigDecimal class.  Anyone know
> if
> there's a reason for that?  If not could it be added in?  I'm scared to
> touch
> it because it's a C library.

Looks to me like it's missing.
How about we add this near line 1310 of ext/bigdecimal/bigdecimal.c?
+    rb_define_method(rb_cBigDecimal, "to_d", BigDecimal_uplus, 0);

Cheers,
Dave