Forum: Ruby on Rails what the » ???

Bobby (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 21:45
Im just learning trough the "geting started with ruby"
i'm only on page Ruby.new and im stuck
here's the thing, I'm using FreeRIDE to duplicate the examples

a = %w{ ant bee cat dog elk }
a[0] 	» 	"ant"
a[3] 	» 	"dog"

for the live of me i cant seem to use Alt+0187 (»)
what happen??
Michael G. (Guest)
I believe this is just showing you what data is stored in which slot in
the
array.

a[0] contains "ant", etc.
Bobby (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 22:03
Michael G. wrote:
> I believe this is just showing you what data is stored in which slot in
> the
> array.
>
> a[0] contains "ant", etc.

mmm sorry for the misunderstanding
but what I meant is, why cant I enter [ » ] with the FreeRIDE
I tried pressing Alt+0187 in my keyboard and nothing happen
Jim McFarland (Guest)
You don't need to actually type in the "»".  In the code, that
convention is used to show you the output/value of the expression on
the left.
Bobby (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 22:09
Jim McFarland wrote:
> You don't need to actually type in the "�".  In the code, that
> convention is used to show you the output/value of the expression on
> the left.
Thank you for helping me but please bear with me for a moment :)
could you give me an example?
Jim McFarland (Guest)
This might explain it better than me:

http://www.rubycentral.com/book/preface.html

Go there and read the section on "Notation Conventions".
Jim McFarland (Guest)
On 3/13/06, Bobby <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Michael G. wrote:
> > I believe this is just showing you what data is stored in which slot in
> > the
> > array.
> >
> > a[0] contains "ant", etc.
>
> mmm sorry for the misunderstanding
> but what I meant is, why cant I enter [ » ] with the FreeRIDE
> I tried pressing Alt+0187 in my keyboard and nothing happen

You don't need to enter that character.  That character and anything
after it is not part of the actual sample code.
Bobby (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 22:27
Jim McFarland wrote:
> This might explain it better than me:
>
> http://www.rubycentral.com/book/preface.html
>
> Go there and read the section on "Notation Conventions".
So the » is just a sample of the output?
Chris H. (Guest)
a[0]    »       "ant"
a[3]    »       "dog"

is equivalent to "reading"

a[0] has a value of "ant"
a[3] has a value of "dog"

it's strictly there for visualization purposes and has not meaning
outside
that context, ie, it's not code.
Bobby (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 22:59
Chris H. wrote:
> a[0]    »       "ant"
> a[3]    »       "dog"
>
> is equivalent to "reading"
>
> a[0] has a value of "ant"
> a[3] has a value of "dog"
>
> it's strictly there for visualization purposes and has not meaning
> outside
> that context, ie, it's not code.
Ahh I see
Thank you all for your help :)