Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: Mutable models based on dbfunctions or stored procs?

Brian C. (Guest)
No response on this one..    I can hear someone saying "Go write it!"

________________________________

From: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
[mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid] On Behalf Of Brian C.
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:07 AM
To: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Subject: [Rails] Mutable models based on dbfunctions or stored procs?

Is there any way that a model can be based on a stored procedure or
function that so that it can return a set of data based on a parameter
provided in either the controller, or s a variable in the model?   That
way you could:

1)      Set the variable

2)      Call find_all

3)      Get a mutable set of results that takes better advantage of some
of the advanced database features available?

There are many times when SQL code is simply a better way to twist and
turn data sets.  (Olap transformations, speeding up joins in large
tables by using temp tables, etc.)

Best,
Brian