Forum: Ruby Re: Quickest way to do this string op.

Kroeger, Simon (ext) (Guest)
> "BOCA RATON".replace "Boca Raton" # :-P
>
> Probably
>
> "BOCA RATON".split(/\b/).map{|s| s.capitalize }.join
>
> It is quick to write, at least...
>
> HTH

"BOCA RATON".gsub(/\w+/){|w| w.capitalize}

is even shorter :)

cheers

Simon
Pete P. (Guest)

I'm new to Ruby but can't you just use :

"BOCA RATON".capitalize

?

Cheers,

Pete
Pete P. (Guest)
Answer : No you can't. Please ignore me ;)
Tassilo Horn (Guest)
Peter P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> I'm new to Ruby but can't you just use :
>
> "BOCA RATON".capitalize

irb(main):001:0> "BOCA RATON".capitalize
=> "Boca raton"

Regards,
Tassilo
James B. (Guest)
Peter P. wrote:
> Answer : No you can't. Please ignore me ;)

Do we ignore the message asking us to ignore you?

:)

Anyway, you were on the right track, but the string needs to be chunked
on white space, then regrouped.

"BOCA RATON".split( /\s/ ).map{ |w| w.capitalize }.join( ' ' )

If one tends to do this a lot, it can be added as an instance method to
String:

class String
   def titlize
     self.split( /\s/).map{ |w| w.capitalize }.join( ' ' )

"BOCA RATON".titlize

--
James B.

?Design depends largely on constraints.?
  ? Charles Eames
Randy K. (Guest)
On Monday 13 March 2006 08:36 am, Peter P. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Ruby but can't you just use :
>
> "BOCA RATON".capitalize

Nope!  (That gives => "Boca raton").

And, even as a Ruby newbie, I determined in seconds.

The real point of my post is to say that, while I'm learning Ruby, I
have IRB
open in a konsole right next to kmail--it's very nice to quickly plug a
piece
of code in there and do some testing (confirm it works, take bits off
the end
to see intermediate results, etc.).

regards,
Randy K.