Forum: Ruby on Rails InstantRails works with WEBrick, fails with SCGI

Dan Reeves (Guest)
on 2006-03-12 19:06
I have an app that I've been developing for some time with RADRails and
WEBrick locally. I wanted to take it to Apache and following the
following steps:

1) Downloaded and extracted InstantRails.
2) Started and tested cookbook with SCGI. Works great.
3) Copied my app over to rails_apps directory.
4) Added a virtual host to Apache identical to cookbook (just using port
9999
   with cookbook shutdown) and:

    ServerName www.myrailsapp.com
    # handle all requests through SCGI
    SCGIMount /dispatch.fcgi 127.0.0.1:9999
    DocumentRoot ${path}/rails_apps/myrailsapp/public
    <Directory ${path}/rails_apps/myrailsapp/public>

5) Added my URL www.myrailsapp.com to Windows hosts file.
6) Configured InstantRails copy of MySQL
7) Shutdown cookbook and my local copy of MySQL. No Apache or anything
else
   should be running.

If I start the app in InstantRails with WEBrick, works fine. With SCGI,
in the
Apache error log, I see:

[Sun Mar 12 11:49:34 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] couldn't spawn
child process:
d:/instantrails-1.0/rails_apps/myrailsapp/public/dispatch.cgi

This has to be some dumb configuration error, but I cannot find it. Any
ideas
what I've missed?

Thanks,
Dan
Kevin O. (Guest)
* Try giving it a separate SCGI number (like 9998).
* change the number in the Apache virtual host section to the same one

_Kevin
Dan Reeves (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 04:35
Kevin O. wrote:
> * Try giving it a separate SCGI number (like 9998).
> * change the number in the Apache virtual host section to the same one
>
> _Kevin

I see, in the SCGI configuration. I was starting my app on a port that
did not match the virtual host.

Unfortunately, I still get the same error after the change. Apologies,
is
there anything else that might cause this?

Thanks,
Dan