Forum: Ruby on Rails rails log

Joe B. (Guest)
on 2006-03-11 19:07
i know rails log is very good, detailed.
but find useful infos from big log is terrible.
any one have good idea.

regards
Adam F. (Guest)
On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:07:55PM +0100, Joe B. wrote:
> i know rails log is very good, detailed.
> but find useful infos from big log is terrible.
> any one have good idea.

If you work at it a bit, that would make a great haiku.

What kind of information did you have in mind?

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
Steve R. (Guest)
on 2006-03-11 19:35
Once you are happy with a noisy section of code do this:

logger.silence do
# noisy code
end

Joe B. wrote:
> i know rails log is very good, detailed.
> but find useful infos from big log is terrible.
> any one have good idea.
>
> regards
Alex Y. (Guest)
Adam F. wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:07:55PM +0100, Joe B. wrote:
>> i know rails log is very good, detailed.
>> but find useful infos from big log is terrible.
>> any one have good idea.
>
> If you work at it a bit, that would make a great haiku.
Data fills the log
Signal gets lost in the fog
Who can find the way?

(sorry...)
Bogdan I. (Guest)
Log good indeed it is
Use grep one must
Or something else.
Justin F. (Guest)
Joe B. wrote:

> i know rails log is very good, detailed.
> but find useful infos from big log is terrible.
> any one have good idea.

Are you running in development mode or in production (which logs a lot
less)?

Have you seen the comments in config/environment.rb about setting the
log level? (If you are still getting too much in your log in production,
you could set config.log_level = :warn)

For more information, you could start at:

   http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/logger

regards

   Justin