Forum: Ruby Embedable Ruby Interpreter

mscode3 (Guest)
I am looking for a Ruby interpreter that can be embedded in another
product, so that Ruby can be used as the customization or application
development language for that product. Ideally, this interpreter would
be OpenSource and not carry an anti-commercial license like GPL.

Is there such a beastie?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Jeremy T. (Guest)
On 10-Mar-06, at 11:18 PM, mscode3 wrote:

> I am looking for a Ruby interpreter that can be embedded in another
> product, so that Ruby can be used as the customization or application
> development language for that product. Ideally, this interpreter would
> be OpenSource and not carry an anti-commercial license like GPL.

GPL isn't anti-commercial, it just places limits on what you can
charge for GPL licensed code, and you must supply your source code.
(Probably impractical, but not anti-commercial.)

> Is there such a beastie?

Maybe, but you can just rip out the regex code, and for example,
replace it with oniguruma and be happier than a pig in shit. To my
knowledge, that's the only GPL'd code in the VM.

--
Jeremy T.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

"If you round off the fractions, embedded systems consume 100% of the
worldwide production of microprocessors." -- Jim Turley
Bill K. (Guest)

> I am looking for a Ruby interpreter that can be embedded in another
> product, so that Ruby can be used as the customization or application
> development language for that product. Ideally, this interpreter would
> be OpenSource and not carry an anti-commercial license like GPL.
>
> Is there such a beastie?

Hi, Ruby is dual-licensed.  See the files "COPYING" and "LEGAL"
in your ruby distribution.

As I understand it, everything in Ruby is either Matz' Ruby
license, or some form of BSD or Artistic license, except
regex.[ch] which are under LGPL.  If even LGPL is incompatible
with your product, you can build ruby with the Oniguruma
regex engine instead, which is (I believe) Ruby-licensed.

"I Am Not A Lawyer", etc.  :)

Regards,

Bill