Forum: Ruby on Rails rake fails on build server, but not in development

Lori O. (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 19:03
I'm working in a development environment of Mac OS X with MySQL, and a
production deployment environment of Redhat with Oracle XE.  In the
course of setting up a new continuous build server that more closely
mimics our production environment, I got stuck on the following
strangeness on the build server (Linux, Oracle).

1.  rake fails
2.  rake test_units works
3.  rake test_functional works

We've reduced the problem down to a simple fault by using --trace ... I
can see that "purge_test_database" does not happen between test_units
and test_functional when a complete rake is done, and the database has a
bunch of stuff in it from the unit tests, so it is not blank to start
for the functional tests.

So, I am confused.  We have a complete match of Ruby and Gem versions
between development and build.  Why is this behaving so differently?  Is
this a platform difference (Mac vs Linux) or a database difference
(MySQL vs Oracle)?

I'm sure there is probably a simple work-around, but where should I
start?

Lori
Lori O. (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 21:42
Lori O. wrote:

> I'm sure there is probably a simple work-around, but where should I
> start?

Ok, I think I know what needs to be done, I just can't seem to make it
work.  For my Rails application, when I go "rake", it executes a
"default" task (which seems to come from a Rails file called misc.rake),
which in turn invokes the "test_units" and "test_functional" tasks.

What I need to do is to override that "default" task, and make it invoke
the "purge_test_database" task in between the invocations of
"test_units" and "test_functional".

I've tried creating a myapp.rake file under lib/tasks, with a "default"
task, but it does not get called when I do a "rake".

What am I doing wrong?

--

Lori
Lori O. (Guest)
Lori O. wrote:

> So, I am confused.  We have a complete match of Ruby and Gem versions
> between development and build.  Why is this behaving so differently?  Is
> this a platform difference (Mac vs Linux) or a database difference
> (MySQL vs Oracle)?

Continuing to narrow this down.  Running from a Mac against the Oracle
on the Linux machine... and rake fails.  Running from a Mac against the
same version of Oracle on a Windows machine... and rake works.

So it seems to be an "Oracle on Linux" problem.

Is anyone else running with Oracle XE on Linux having rake problems?