Forum: Ruby Ruby crawling on a Win2003 Server

Marcus A. (Guest)
I have an application that makes heavy use of ActiveRecord to fetch data
and publish to files. When running on my local machine (a laptop with
WinXP) I produce 1-2 files per second which is perfectly acceptable.
When running in the production environment (a Windows 2003 server with
double processors and mucho memory) it crawls. It takes about 30 seconds
  to produce each file (using the same dataset although running on
different db servers (localhost (which is contextual...) MySQL 4.1.x in
both cases)).

Is there anyone who has any idea of what might be going on? Any
profiling tips for a Ruby noob?

Ruby 1.8.2 is used.

Thanks

/Marcus
Miles M. (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 12:04
Marcus A. wrote:
> I have an application that makes heavy use of ActiveRecord to fetch data
> and publish to files. When running on my local machine (a laptop with
> WinXP) I produce 1-2 files per second which is perfectly acceptable.
> When running in the production environment (a Windows 2003 server with
> double processors and mucho memory) it crawls. It takes about 30 seconds
>   to produce each file (using the same dataset although running on
> different db servers (localhost (which is contextual...) MySQL 4.1.x in
> both cases)).
>
> Is there anyone who has any idea of what might be going on? Any
> profiling tips for a Ruby noob?
>
> Ruby 1.8.2 is used.
>
> Thanks
>
> /Marcus

Try looking at the Windows Event Viewer first in Computer Management.
Robert K. (Guest)
Marcus A. wrote:
> profiling tips for a Ruby noob?
>
> Ruby 1.8.2 is used.

I'd try to profile with PerfMon as well as Ruby's profiler.  For
databases
often IO is the bottleneck, so if your 2003 server is slow then maybe
it's
doing something else.  Online virus scanners often also have an
adversary
effect on performance...  HTH

Kind regards

    robert
Marcus A. (Guest)
Robert K. skrev:
> I'd try to profile with PerfMon as well as Ruby's profiler.  For databases
> often IO is the bottleneck, so if your 2003 server is slow then maybe it's
> doing something else.  Online virus scanners often also have an adversary
> effect on performance...  HTH

Okay. I'll look into this. Thanks.

/Marcus