Forum: Ruby Looking for a Ruby Programmer Looking for a Fun Project. ;)

Mark (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 08:56
hi there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

I'm in Seattle, and have only just found out about Ruby (and Rails), and
am pretty excited about them for the project I'm currently noodling
with.  It's a fairly simple web game idea that I think fits well with
the database-structure of Ruby (as I understand  it).  It's a
turn-a-day, interactive kinda thing with (hopefully) a fun twist - my
friends want to play it, at least, and I guess we'll see from there.  ;)

My programming experience basically consists of (ahem) BASIC since about
third grade or so.  It's suited me well for some little apps and games,
but it seems time to move to a language suited for web application, and
my impression is that Ruby is powerful, well-suited to this, and not
impossible for someone like me to try and learn.

I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
implementing the design I have, and learn along the way.  (I can't stand
the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
Ruby to implement it myself.)

If you'd like to chat about it, or point me toward someone who sounds
like a good fit, I'm at removed_email_address@domain.invalid.  Thanks!  I'm glad
to be
learning about all this.

Best,

Mark
Gene T. (Guest)
Mark wrote:
> hi there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

> I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
> implementing the design I have, and learn along the way.  (I can't stand
> the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
> Ruby to implement it myself.)

maybe post at
http://jobs.rubynow.com/

try to get a certified develoepr:

http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/...
unknown (Guest)
In article <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
Gene T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>maybe post at
>http://jobs.rubynow.com/
>
>try to get a certified develoepr:
>
>http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/...

There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.

Phil
Zed S. (Guest)
On 3/10/06 5:03 AM, "Phil T." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>>> Ruby to implement it myself.)
>>>

>> maybe post at
>> http://jobs.rubynow.com/
>>
>> try to get a certified develoepr:
>>
>> http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/...
>
> There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.

Yeah, where the hell did that come from?  Are the certification vultures
already circling Ruby?  Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
language at all.

Crazy.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Zed S. wrote:

>>> try to get a certified develoepr:
>>>
>>> http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/...
>>
>> There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.
>
> Yeah, where the hell did that come from?  Are the certification vultures
> already circling Ruby?  Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
> language at all.
>
> Crazy.

Or "certifiable," as they say :-)

It looks like there's no Ruby certification as such at that site;
rather, they're recommending that Ruby job seekers get certification
in a number of other areas.  A rather large number of other areas....

Oh well -- it's probably a sign of the equivocal kind of success that
people so often refer to unequivocally as success.

David

"Ruby for Rails" chapters now available
Greg K. (Guest)
Zed S. wrote:

> Yeah, where the hell did that come from?  Are the certification vultures
> already circling Ruby?  Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
> language at all.
>
> Crazy.
>

> Zed A. Shaw

Hey, I am a proud MCSE from 1999 or so. That and $1.00 will get me a
warm cup of coffee. Oops. Forgot that Internet cafe shut down right
after I got my MCSE :-)
Gene T. (Guest)
Phil T. wrote:
> >> Ruby to implement it myself.)
>
> Phil

OP Mark:

The certification part was tongue in cheek, should've made that clear.
Pistos C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 17:14
Mark wrote:
> I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
> implementing the design I have, and learn along the way.  (I can't stand
> the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
> Ruby to implement it myself.)
>
> If you'd like to chat about it, or point me toward someone who sounds
> like a good fit, I'm at removed_email_address@domain.invalid.  Thanks!  I'm glad to be
> learning about all this.

Just my two cents, but I honestly think you should give yourself more
credit.  ;)  Ruby is really easy to learn if you have any kind of prior
programming experience, and you can become productive in it in just a
few hours of reading examples and tutorials.

Why not just get started, and begin punching out some Ruby code in your
editor of choice?  I bet you'll have something going no time.  :)

Pistos
James B. (Guest)
Zed S. wrote:

> On 3/10/06 5:03 AM, "Phil T." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>>There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.
>

> Yeah, where the hell did that come from?  Are the certification vultures
> already circling Ruby?  Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
> language at all.

I'm pretty sure I'm certified.

:)

> Crazy.

Oh, indeed.

--
James B.

Curt H. (Guest)
> > already circling Ruby?  Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
> > language at all.
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm certified.
>
> :)
>

> > Crazy.
>
> Oh, indeed.

I just certified myself by proclamation, just as a precaution... :-)

Curt
Dirk M. (Guest)
2006/3/10, Curt H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> I just certified myself by proclamation, just as a precaution... :-)
>
> Curt

i refuse to be certified.. and i wouldn't be, if i hadn't refused..

anyway, we're getting extremely off-topic.
the project sounds very interesting, and i would be somewhat
interested..
though i'm not very experienced in Ruby (i have most of the knowledge,
just
didn't apply most of it) and have zero knowledge of rails, if i could
assist
someone else in this project, i would be interested :-)
greetings, Dirk.
Patrick H. (Guest)
On 3/10/06, Dirk M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> the project sounds very interesting, and i would be somewhat interested..
> though i'm not very experienced in Ruby (i have most of the knowledge, just
> didn't apply most of it) and have zero knowledge of rails, if i could assist
> someone else in this project, i would be interested :-)
> greetings, Dirk.

Mark,

Why don't you explain the game if it is not too complicated either
here or someplace else on the web (and give us the link). You will
probably increase your signal to noise ratio.

pth