Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR Deployment on Shared Hosting

Brian H. (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 03:21
Hey all -

Well, I've gone through all of the tutorials I can get my hands on, and
I've developed what is basically a (very) simple front-end to a database
that I maintain online.

My big problem now is deployment.  Almost everything that I've found on
the web regarding deployment (and this includes the instructions for
Switchtower/Ccapistrano) assumes that I have complete control over the
Apache server that I'm deploying on.  This isn't the case - I have a
hosting plan with IXWebhosting.com.  According to what I first read
about RoR, I can deploy it on any server with CGI (or FastCGI - the
server I'm on is Apache 1.3 with both modules).  But I'm at a complete
loss as to *how* to deploy it, or even how to check and make sure that
my server will support the execution of Ruby code.

How do you deploy on shared hosting?  I don't have the faintest idea
where to even start.
François B. (Guest)
2006/3/9, Brian H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> How do you deploy on shared hosting?  I don't have the faintest idea
> where to even start.

Copy your files to your webhost.  Then, ssh into the box, and run the
console:

ruby script/console

If you can execute a few commands without errors, you're fine.  Don't
forget to update config/datababse.yml to suit.

You should really ask your host for this information.  They might have
different requirements.  For an example, here is DreamHost's Rails
page:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Rails

Hope that helps !
Dan H. (Guest)
With my hosting provider, you copy the files to the server and then
contact the hosting guys who must deploy it for you.  I haven't done it
yet as my app is still under development, so I'm not totally sure, but
that's what I read somewhere.

Cheers,
Dan
http://www.kingdomsolutions.com.au