Forum: Ruby RUDL on Mac OS X?

James G. (Guest)
Has anyone successfully installed the RUDL library on Mac OS X
(preferably Tiger)?  If so, can you give me the magic incarnation to
feed exconf.rb?

Thanks.

James Edward G. II
Logan C. (Guest)
On Mar 9, 2006, at 6:34 PM, James Edward G. II wrote:

> Has anyone successfully installed the RUDL library on Mac OS X
> (preferably Tiger)?  If so, can you give me the magic incarnation
> to feed exconf.rb?
>
> Thanks.
>
> James Edward G. II

Did you install from source? Or fink perhaps. It'll will probably
work better as far as rudl is concerned because then it will be more
Unixy. RUDL is looking for sdl-config which the libsdl.org packages
don't  apparently come with. (Apparently they expect you to only
build stuff for your personal use on your machine or something?)

(...some time later...)
I installed the fink version of SDL and ran extconf, which worked fine

Well rudl seems to have a few idiosyncracies. First in bitmask.c
includes malloc.h, OS X doesn't have a malloc.h so I include stdlib.h
and comment out malloc.h This allowd everything to compile, right up
until the link step, where it exploded. Theorizing it may be one of
those gcc3 vs. gcc4 things I'm gonna try using gcc3... So much for
that idea, I apparently don't  have 3.x installed. Sorry I couldn't
be of more help.
Urban H. (Guest)
Daniel A. (Guest)
If you don't mind using rsdl instead of rudl:

http://www.ralphdouglass.com/static_content/rubysdl_on_osx

Dan Amelang