Forum: Ruby on Rails OT: Subversion repository layout

Jeroen H. (Guest)

I'm trying to get a nice repository structure happening and was
wondering what other people like to use.

I'm about ready to publish a rails app. This app now lives in
myapp/trunk

When this app goes live I will need to freeze it so I will copy
myapp/trunk to myapp/tags/release-1.0 (right?)

I also would like to get going on a new version which will break the
current version in many many ways. Where will I store this? I guess I
can use /myapp/branches/2.0 but what happens to myapp/trunk? And where
would I commit patches to version 1?

Jeroen
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-03-09 18:11
Jeroen H. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a nice repository structure happening and was
> wondering what other people like to use.
>
> I'm about ready to publish a rails app. This app now lives in
> myapp/trunk
>
> When this app goes live I will need to freeze it so I will copy
> myapp/trunk to myapp/tags/release-1.0 (right?)
>
> I also would like to get going on a new version which will break the
> current version in many many ways. Where will I store this? I guess I
> can use /myapp/branches/2.0 but what happens to myapp/trunk? And where
> would I commit patches to version 1?
>
> Jeroen

I'd *strongly* recommend Pragmatic Version Control with Subversion from
the PragBookshelf.  Mike Roberts has done a brilliant job of covering
exactly these kind fo questions/recipes/usage scenarios rather than just
a man page for the client and server.

If you go for the PDF or combo, you could have inside 10 minutes (if the
PDF Gnomes aren't too busy).

A.
disclaimer:  I don't work for the Prags, but I love Mike Roberts like a
brother :-)
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-03-09 18:12
Jeroen H. (Guest)
Alan F. wrote:
>> myapp/trunk to myapp/tags/release-1.0 (right?)
> exactly these kind fo questions/recipes/usage scenarios rather than just
> a man page for the client and server.
>
> If you go for the PDF or combo, you could have inside 10 minutes (if the
> PDF Gnomes aren't too busy).
>
> A.
> disclaimer:  I don't work for the Prags, but I love Mike Roberts like a
> brother :-)

That good hey ;-)
I'll have a look, thanks!

Jeroen