Forum: Ruby on Rails Shared hosting for Rails projects

listbox (Guest)
To much of my dissapointment, the uptime on my TxD account does not
improve.

What alternatives do we have for hosting Rails projects on shared
accounts? I would love to keep lighttpd and the level of control I
have on TxD but wouldn't like to spend much more (I am currently on
the 25$/month plan).

I won't need much support, but I would love to have subversion
available.

What options have we got? All the european offerings I've seen to
date are ridiculously overpriced and thusly excluded from
consideration (as much as I would love to have my stuff hosted in
Amsterdam it's just not worth it).
carl (Guest)
There is a great provider in Germany called escapebox.net that gives
you a chrooted FreeBSD virtual server that can be configured to run
rails.  Their standard package costs $25.  The great thing about them
is that they manage all the bugfixes and updates.  You can't get
managed hosting at this price anywhere else.  I have used them for
years now and the service is _excellent_ and the support is amazingly
competent.  They have been able to help with just about any problem I
have thrown at them.
ezra (Guest)
On Nov 18, 2005, at 10:12 AM, Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov wrote:

Julian-

	I have a VPS account with rimuhosting.com for $29/month and you get
root access to you own linux distro so you can install whatever you
want. You also get 4Gigs disk space. I have written detailed
instructions on how to set up a very nice Rails/Lighttpd/Debian VPS
server from scratch. Of course there are plenty of other good VPS
providers out there and these docs will work with any VPS or
dedicated server. But if you do go looking for one then make sure
they run Xen as their virtualization software. It is orders of
magnitude faster and better disk IO performance than the other
virtualization software out there . Having a VPS is so much better
than using a shared host for rais projects because no one else can
stomp all over the server and bring it down all the time. My VPS has
an uptime of 6 months which is when I first got it. There hasn't ever
been any downtime yet.

	I have a few articles about this on my blog as well as some details
set up documentation. Check it out and feel free to get back to me
with any questions or if you need a little help.

	http://brainspl.at  has all the info I'm talking about.

Cheers-

-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
alex (Guest)
Ezra Z. wrote:
> better disk IO performance than the other  virtualization software out
> there . Having a VPS is so much better  than using a shared host for
> rais projects because no one else can  stomp all over the server and
> bring it down all the time. My VPS has  an uptime of 6 months which is
> when I first got it. There hasn't ever  been any downtime yet.
>
>     I have a few articles about this on my blog as well as some details
> set up documentation. Check it out and feel free to get back to me  with
> any questions or if you need a little help.
>
>     http://brainspl.at  has all the info I'm talking about.

Bytemark.co.uk are pretty cool for VMs...  I've got uptimes at 219 days
and 308 days, and those were both dist-upgrade restarts of my own doing.
 Mine are UMLs, but I think you can get Xen machines too.
grant (Guest)
Alex Y. wrote:

>>providers out there and these docs will work with any VPS or  dedicated
>>any questions or if you need a little help.

I am using Hub.org (they host most of the PostgreSQL.org stuff, or at
least did, and sponsor it) and they are a VPS.   I have not run Rails
there yet, but they are a VPS and I have root, so I could.   So far, all
of my Rails stuff is Intranet, and so I get to start with a pile of
hardware and a Debian Sarge CD.
carl (Guest)
The reason why I prefer escapebox to these VM-style accounts is that
you get root access but you get the added advantage of having somebody
vigilantly track all bugfixes and updates and keep the system stable.
If you want to install your own stuff you are free to do so, but with
escapebox you have a 24/7 sysadmin, all at no extra cost compared to
these do-it-yourself shops.  The only disadvantage IMO is that Germany
is far away from the US, but for you Europeans out there it is
ideal...
Robert J. (Guest)
on 2006-05-12 13:58
carl wrote:
> There is a great provider in Germany called escapebox.net that gives
> you a chrooted FreeBSD virtual server that can be configured to run
> rails.  Their standard package costs $25.  The great thing about them
> is that they manage all the bugfixes and updates.  You can't get
> managed hosting at this price anywhere else.  I have used them for
> years now and the service is _excellent_ and the support is amazingly
> competent.  They have been able to help with just about any problem I
> have thrown at them.

Hi Carl....Any chance of some pointers for setting up a production Rails
environment on Escapebox please?  I'm thinking of hosting with them, but
am not familiar with FreeBSD.  I'm fine with Linux, and working on the
command line, but not sure about software installation on FreeBSD.

Robert
Robby R. (Guest)
On May 12, 2006, at 2:58 AM, Robert J. wrote:

> Hi Carl....Any chance of some pointers for setting up a production
> Rails
> environment on Escapebox please?  I'm thinking of hosting with
> them, but
> am not familiar with FreeBSD.  I'm fine with Linux, and working on the
> command line, but not sure about software installation on FreeBSD.
>
> Robert

We also just launched a new hosting service targeted towards
businesses. :-)

http://rubyurl.com/fMm

--
Robby R.
Founder & Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]