Forum: Ruby on Rails open source editor

Dan (Guest)
on 2006-03-09 03:39
does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware text
editor?
Charles R. (Guest)
on 2006-03-09 03:41
Dan wrote:
> does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware text
> editor?

Check out http://www.openedpc.com for some cool PC stuff.  I pretty much
use it as a definitive guide for free/open software.

Cheers,
Charles
Gregory S. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:39:34AM +0100, Dan wrote:
} does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware
text
} editor?

It's an acquired taste, but www.vim.org

--Greg
Muammar Kris Khaira (Guest)
> does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware
> text editor?

TextWrangler (Mac OS X)
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Now open source, but freeware

- kris
David Andrew T. (Guest)
For Rails.....Radrails, which uses Eclipse as it's base and includes
all kinds of nice Rails features/testing. http://www.radrails.org

Just an editor, JEdit is good.  http://www.jedit.org/

Dave

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David Andrew T.
Dan wrote:
> does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware text
> editor?

Scite is also a good choice. http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
Available for Windows and Linux; and really fast
Muammar Kris Khaira (Guest)
> Now open source

oops i meant to say "Not open source".
Rich A. (Guest)
on 2006-03-09 08:25
Dan wrote:
> does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware text
> editor?

Here are 2 text editors (not IDE) for Windows and 2 for Unix-like
systems.

On Windows:

Notepad++ 3.5 - Scintilla-based editor (more features than Scite)
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Vim and GVim 6.4 - GVim offers "easy-mode" if you don't have time to
master vim keystrokes--take time to learn it an you'll be amazingly
productive
http://www.vim.org

On *BSD and Linux:

Vim and GVim 6.4 - high learning curve, but it enables you to be more
productive than any other text editor once you master it
http://www.vim.org

NEdit - GUI text editor that is easy-to-use
http://www.nedit.org
Ben M. (Guest)
Dan wrote:
> does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware text
> editor?

For rails development RadRails is pretty sweet.... but for just editing
text files (with
syntax highlighting, word completion, code folding, good searching, and
a basic execution
window) SciTE is pretty sweet. It comes with the Ruby and Python windows
installers;
available for *nix.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-03-09 22:31
Dan wrote:
> does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware text
> editor?

gnu-emacs + ruby-mode + mmm-mode + rails-mode + ido + ruby-electric

running on X or win32 with Consolas font (thanks Microsoft)

essentially its a free textmate, with a few added festures like
esperanto spellcheck and tetris
Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-03-09 22:35
> gnu-emacs + ruby-mode + mmm-mode + rails-mode + ido + ruby-electric

 woops forgot ECB (file/SVN browser) + semantic bovinator + eieio ( i
think these help out with the auto-completions somehow, as if 'link_to
"hi"' was hard to type...)
Charlie B. (Guest)
Plain old vim with proper .rhtml syntax highlighting is all I've ever
seen a need for.

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 21:35 +0100, carmen wrote:

> > gnu-emacs + ruby-mode + mmm-mode + rails-mode + ido + ruby-electric
>
>  woops forgot ECB (file/SVN browser) + semantic bovinator + eieio ( i
> think these help out with the auto-completions somehow, as if 'link_to
> "hi"' was hard to type...)

Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
David M. (Guest)
Whenever this thread comes up, I get a chuckle - it's like asking
"what's
your favorite color?".

That said, someone *always* mentions an editor+plugin combination that I
wind up trying - I guess the "perfect editor" is an ongoing quest...

Dave M.
Anthony G. (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 14:46
Dan wrote:
> does anyone know of a good place to find an open source / freeware text
> editor?

Jedit (has a ruby plugin) Win/OS X/Linux
TextMate OS X

_tony
David J. (Guest)
Has anyone added Eclipse?  It has a nice ruby plugin as well.
Ryan P. (Guest)

> Has anyone added Eclipse?  It has a nice ruby plugin as well.

Keep in mind that radrails is built on top of Eclipse, so it's the best
of
both worlds. But, if I were to use Eclipse for strictly RoR development,
I'd
stick w/ RadRails.

Ryan