Forum: Ruby on Rails Acts_as_authenticated plugin?

Daniel -. (Guest)

I've just downloaded the acts_as_authenticated plugin but I can't find
much
in the way of documentation.

First is there anywhere that someone could point me to to get a handle
on
this.

Second..  Does the plugin still require the use of generators to use?

Thanx in advance

Dan
Alain R. (Guest)
Dan,

   > I've just downloaded the acts_as_authenticated plugin but I can't
find much
   > in the way of documentation.
   > Second..  Does the plugin still require the use of generators to
use?

Have you seen the "README" file?
It's not extensive but it should get you started, and it tells you how
to use the 3 included generators. From there, look at the generated
code; it's simple enough.

Alain
Brian D. (Guest)
Dan,

I just switched to acts_as_authenticated from login_engine.  I used this
wiki page, and got it running pretty quickly:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Acts_as_au...

I'd be happy to try to answer any questions if you have any trouble.
Daniel -. (Guest)
Hi Brian..  Thanx for the response.

I have checked out this Wiki page as well and got it going..

It just seems strange to me that the Acts_as_authenticated *plugin* is
actually a generator.

Is this correct or have I misunderstood?

Cheers
James A. (Guest)
It's a plugin with generators, so.... both.

- james

On 3/9/06, Liquid <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

* J *
  ~
Brian D. (Guest)
I'm still fairly new to Rails, so I probably wouldn't be the best person
answer that question.  My understanding was that it generates classes
for
your specific app, but also has its own classes it uses - but I haven't
really dug around in the plugin folder yet.  I just know that it worked
well, and seemed to be the more preferred option by people who knew what
they were talking about :)
Rick O. (Guest)
On 3/9/06, Brian D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I'm still fairly new to Rails, so I probably wouldn't be the best person to
> answer that question.  My understanding was that it generates classes for
> your specific app, but also has its own classes it uses - but I haven't
> really dug around in the plugin folder yet.  I just know that it worked
> well, and seemed to be the more preferred option by people who knew what
> they were talking about :)

Everything is generated.  You can remove the plugin after use if you
wish.

--
Rick O.
http://techno-weenie.net
> First is there anywhere that someone could point me to to get a handle on
> this.

Use the source, Luke!  Reading the generated code for the model and
controller should give you a fairly good view of what it does, it's
fairly well commented.  If you can't understand what that code does,
I'm afraid you shouldn't be messing with 'acts_as_authenticated' and
should learn a bit more Rails before attempting that --no offense
intended.

--
Daniel -. (Guest)
Thanx for the feedback.  I've got it generated and running now.

Cheers