Forum: Ruby on Rails audio / sound recording with RoR app

Rohit M. (Guest)
hi all
  i want to provide audio recording facility with my Ror application ,
which can be stored in DB at server , for later use
  can anybody tell, how to implement this with RoR, as i dont hav much
idea abt that
  thanx
Roberto S. (Guest)
use flashplayer and open source red5 (still in pre-alpha, but
audio-recording works) or Macromedia Media Server for recordig and
storing
the audio, and javascript for clientside interaction with flashplayer.
Beside of RoR skills, you need to be comfortable with Java (red5) and
Actionscript (Flash) if you go the open source route.
http://odeo.com  is a good example of a RoR app with audio integration.
Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-03-07 18:37
> use flashplayer and open source red5 (still in pre-alpha, but
> audio-recording works) or Macromedia Media Server for recordig and
> the audio, and javascript for clientside interaction with flashplayer.
> Beside of RoR skills, you need to be comfortable with Java (red5) and
> Actionscript (Flash) if you go the open source route.

although youve called red5 'open source' twice, i cant help but think
thats not the case - its not in Debian or Gentoo, which is sort of a
litmus test for 'this app and/or its license is so f*cked we won't
include it'. chances are it is some reverse-engineered thing that still
requires the proprietary (and vapor on amd64 or powerpc) flash plugin
for the actual recording.

hopefully mplayer or vlc plugin camps add microphone support to their
plugins, as the rest of the chain is already well served by open
components -> rails, lighttpd, ruby, afsp, sox, ecasound, lame, vorbis,
ruby-libsndfile bindings, icecast etc.
Roberto S. (Guest)
Carmen, yes, red5 needs the flash plugin at the client browser for the
actual recording. Unfortuanetly, VLC or mplayer browser plugin will not
reach the ubiquity of flash (flashplayer is on about 98% of all
browsers) in
the near and not so near future, no matter what features they add to it.
red
5 <http://osflash.org/red5> is open source (LPGL), but it is a Java
application, so that might be the reason it is not in the linux
repositories
yuo mentioned.