Forum: Ruby on Rails File uploads giving "page not found" on IE

Michael C. (Guest)
I am having a really wierd problem in IE.  I have a simple file upload
form with two selects and a textarea.  This is a medical transcription
application - very simply an administrator can upload a file and assign
it to both a doctor and a transcriptionist at the same time and
optionally provide a note to the transcriptionist.

If I remove the MT selector, it always works.  If it's on there,
some/most of the time we get a "page cannot be displayed".  This is
only in production, not development, and only in IE.  Of course, when I
get "page cannot be displayed", nothing shows up in lighty's log.

I use the same form for doctors, just with the extra three fields
removed, and needless to say, it seems to always work then.

Anybody seen this and have a potential workaround?  Besides Mozilla?

I'll post code if anyone thinks it'll help.  There's very little
involved.

Thanks,
Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

 I have noticed the same problem on my own upload's of files.  Do you
 happen to be running behind Lighttpd SSL, because I only notice that my
file
 uploads are broken when I am using IE with SSL, which I am trying to
 find a workaround for :-(

 -Curtis

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 06:56:12AM +0000, Curtis Spencer wrote:
> Michael,
>
>  I have noticed the same problem on my own upload's of files.  Do you
>  happen to be running behind Lighttpd SSL, because I only notice that my file
>  uploads are broken when I am using IE with SSL, which I am trying to
>  find a workaround for :-(

It's your lucky day:
$HTTP["useragent"] =~ "^(.*MSIE.*)|(.*AppleWebKit.*)$" {
   server.max-keep-alive-requests = 0
}

I should have remembered this, since I was bitten on the arse by this
problem under Apache about two months ago (different site).

I just found this out there somewhere, but it seems to have fixed the
problem completely.  This is almost identical to the fix that I did
under Apache:

BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

Note that the regex could be cleaned up considerably, probably to
"(MSIE)|(AppleWebKit)".

Michael