Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Capistrano 1.1

Jamis B. (Guest)
Capistrano is a utility for executing tasks in parallel across
multiple remote hosts. It was formerly known as SwitchTower.

Installation:

   gem install capistrano

Manual:

   http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17

Version 1.1 introduces a few changes:

* Renamed! Due to the trademark infringement debacle of last week, we
had to change the name. Moving forward it will be known as Capistrano.

* The generated capistrano.rake file is simpler now than it used to
be. You can easily append custom options to individual tasks now. For
instance, if you want the deploy to be silent, instead of verbose,
just add "-q" to the parameter list for that task.

* The generated capistrano.rake file uses the "remote" namespace, so
you'll need to have at least Rake 0.7.0. You can still do "rake
deploy" and "rake rollback", but the other tasks must be prefixed
with the namespace ("rake remote:exec", "rake remote:show_tasks", etc.)

* The 'switchtower' command is replaced by the 'cap' command.

* The cap utility is verbose by default. If you want it to be silent,
use the -q option. If you want it to be less verbose, you can specify
the -v or -vv flags explicitly.

* The cap utility uses more rake-like command-line semantics. Instead
of needing to do "cap -r config/deploy -a deploy", you can just do
"cap deploy". It will look for config/deploy.rb, capfile, or Capfile
automatically, and will treat raw parameters as action names.

Upgrading/switching from SwitchTower to Capistrano is a little
inconvenient. Here's what you'll need to do:

* gem uninstall switchtower (remove all versions)
* gem install capistrano
* For each of your Rails projects, do "cap -A .", keeping your
existing deploy.rb
* For each of your Rails projects, remove lib/tasks/switchtower.rake

Enjoy!

- Jamis
Adam F. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:08:51PM -0700, Jamis B. wrote:

> Version 1.1 introduces a few changes:
>
> * Renamed! Due to the trademark infringement debacle of last week, we
> had to change the name. Moving forward it will be known as Capistrano.

Why "Capistrano"? Does this mean something? If not, it seems
needlessly confusing.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
Daniel B. (Guest)
Adam F. wrote:
>  >   http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17
>  >
>  > Version 1.1 introduces a few changes:
>  >
>  > * Renamed! Due to the trademark infringement debacle of last week, we
>  > had to change the name. Moving forward it will be known as Capistrano.
>
> Why "Capistrano"? Does this mean something? If not, it seems
> needlessly confusing.

He thought of it while *swallowing* some *San Juan* tequila.

Thanks, I'm here all week.

Dan
Derrick S. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Adam F. wrote:

>>   http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17
>
> --
> 				- Adam

http://jamis.jamisbuck.org/articles/2006/03/06/swi...

Why would this be confusing?  Did switchtower really hold all that
much meaning as to the purpose of the software?

-Derrick
Adam F. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:26:15PM -0700, Daniel B. wrote:
> >Why "Capistrano"? Does this mean something? If not, it seems
> >needlessly confusing.
>
> He thought of it while *swallowing* some *San Juan* tequila.
>
> Thanks, I'm here all week.

I think someone needs to reread page 121 of Getting Real.

--

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 02:32:34PM -0500, Derrick S. wrote:
> http://jamis.jamisbuck.org/articles/2006/03/06/swi...
>
> Why would this be confusing?  Did switchtower really hold all that
> much meaning as to the purpose of the software?

Um. Yes.

A switch tower is an actual thing that controls where the trains go,
that prevents the trains from crashing into each other.

That seems like a highly descriptive metaphor. Capistrano is
meaningless in this context.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
Cameron Forbes (Guest)
Nice...

I thought you may have thought it up during the last "Full Moon"...

http://www.eccentricamerica.com/moon.htm

Bwaaaahahahhahahahah!

/cam

On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Adam F. wrote:

> That seems like a highly descriptive metaphor. Capistrano is
> meaningless in this context.
>
> --
> 				- Adam

And a macintosh is a type of apple.  Aside from the time Steve Jobs
spent in Asia, it seems meaningless to name a computer company after
this.  Yet it has been wildly successful.  I don't know, I guess I
just don't see what the big deal is.

-Derrick
Jamis B. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Adam F. wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:26:15PM -0700, Daniel B. wrote:
>>> Why "Capistrano"? Does this mean something? If not, it seems
>>> needlessly confusing.
>>
>> He thought of it while *swallowing* some *San Juan* tequila.
>>
>> Thanks, I'm here all week.
>
> I think someone needs to reread page 121 of Getting Real.

I think someone needs to understand the context of page 121 is data
that you put into your app, not the name of your app.

- Jamis
Jamis B. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Derrick S. wrote:

> after this.  Yet it has been wildly successful.  I don't know, I
> guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

Thank-you, Derrick. That's exactly it.

- Jamis
Adam F. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 02:57:41PM -0500, Derrick S. wrote:
[...]
> And a macintosh is a type of apple.  Aside from the time Steve Jobs
> spent in Asia, it seems meaningless to name a computer company after
> this.  Yet it has been wildly successful.  I don't know, I guess I
> just don't see what the big deal is.

And a "Lisa" is not a kind of apple, and look where that went.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I think that
names at least try to have some relation to their purpose. Names for
products should have some reason why they're better than other words
for that product, and Capistrano, while not bad, is simply no better
than anything else. Why not "Larry", then? It's at least short and
easy to remember.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
Adam F. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:02:03PM -0700, Jamis B. wrote:
[...]
> >I think someone needs to reread page 121 of Getting Real.
>
> I think someone needs to understand the context of page 121 is data
> that you put into your app, not the name of your app.

I'm sorry - were we not supposed to extrapolate from specific examples
to general principles?

--

On Mar 6, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Adam F. wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:02:03PM -0700, Jamis B. wrote:
> [...]
>>> I think someone needs to reread page 121 of Getting Real.
>>
>> I think someone needs to understand the context of page 121 is data
>> that you put into your app, not the name of your app.
>
> I'm sorry - were we not supposed to extrapolate from specific examples
> to general principles?

Sure, that's always a good thing. But there is also a difference
between extrapolating and putting words in people's mouths. I
understand you don't like the name, Adam. You are entitled that
opinion, and I'm sorry we've disappointed you. I hope you can
appreciate our position, though, and understand that many others do
like the name. Myself, I've actually grown to like it more than
SwitchTower (which, frankly, didn't really describe what the product
did either--if someone had said "there's this program called
SwitchTower" to you, would you have had any idea what it did before
they told you?).

- Jamis
Jim M. (Guest)
FYI the gem uninstall does not remove /usr/local/bin/switchtower

no biggy :)
Paul R. (Guest)
On 6 Mar 2006, at 19:57, Derrick S. wrote:

> And a macintosh is a type of apple.  Aside from the time Steve Jobs
> spent in Asia, it seems meaningless to name a computer company
> after this.  Yet it has been wildly successful.  I don't know, I
> guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

For what it's worth, the name Apple (as opposed to Macintosh) has a
very specific meaning, very closely related to the history of
computing. It is a eulogy to Alan Turing, and is intended as a sign
of respect to the modern father of computing who died quite close to
where I type this, after being persecuted for something that is no
longer a crime here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Alan_Turing#Prosecution_for_homosexuality_and_Turing.27s_death

Now - if you didn't know before - you know why the Apple logo has a
bite taken out of it. Think about that the next time you look at it.
It perhaps puts a slightly different angle on those people who have
it tattooed on their arms as well I suppose...

Anyway, I don't care about the name of software I use as long as:

a) I can remember it
b) I can spell it first time when I type it into Google trying to
debug errors
c) It's unique enough for it to show up in Google on the first page
at least

Apart from c) which will no doubt be fixed when we all go blog this,
I see no problem.

--
Paul R.
Adam F. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:35:59PM -0700, Jamis B. wrote:
[...]
> Sure, that's always a good thing. But there is also a difference
> between extrapolating and putting words in people's mouths. I
> understand you don't like the name, Adam. You are entitled that
> opinion, and I'm sorry we've disappointed you. I hope you can
> appreciate our position, though, and understand that many others do
> like the name. Myself, I've actually grown to like it more than
> SwitchTower (which, frankly, didn't really describe what the product
> did either--if someone had said "there's this program called
> SwitchTower" to you, would you have had any idea what it did before
> they told you?).

Look - we're just sort of arguing for the sake of arguing here. At the
end of the day, does it really matter? Probably not.

However, I stand by my earlier statement - I think product names
should stand out as something better than all of the other possible
words that could be tied to the product.

Switchtower, while maybe not evident without comment, does click
immediately when you explain it. It's evocative of its function. A
switch tower is a real analogue with a real meaning. I think you've
given something up by settling on a name that doesn't have the same
import. The only explanation that goes with Capistrano (and it's
telling that I had to look up at the subject line to even remember
what that word was again) is "uh, we couldn't find anything better".

Names matter. Basecamp, Campfire, Backpack, Writeboard, Ta-da... all
good choices!  Would these have been as successful if they'd been
called "Paris", "London", "Sacramento", "Milan", and "New York"?
Those are all perfectly nice names too.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
Jim M. (Guest)
I upgraded as suggested..
 5905  sudo gem uninstall switchtower
 5906  sudo gem install capistrano
 5917  sudo gem update rake

then did...

> cap -A .
      exists  config
overwrite config/deploy.rb? [Ynaq] n
        skip  config/deploy.rb
      exists  lib/tasks
      create  lib/tasks/capistrano.rake

> rm lib/tasks/switchtower.rake

Then when I try this...

> rake remote_exec ACTION=disable_web
(in ...)
rake aborted!
Don't know how to build task 'remote_exec'

Did I screw up?
Pawel S. (Guest)
Not to be contradictory but..

On 3/6/06, Paul R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> For what it's worth, the name Apple (as opposed to Macintosh) has a
> very specific meaning, very closely related to the history of
> computing. It is a eulogy to Alan Turing, and is intended as a sign
> of respect to the modern father of computing who died quite close to
> where I type this, after being persecuted for something that is no
> longer a crime here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Alan_Turing#Prosecution_for_homosexuality_and_Turing.27s_death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer#Logo

This article refutes that theory. So do nearly all of the official and
unofficial Apple / Jobs biographies that mention the event that I've
come across.

> Now - if you didn't know before - you know why the Apple logo has a
> bite taken out of it. Think about that the next time you look at it.
> It perhaps puts a slightly different angle on those people who have
> it tattooed on their arms as well I suppose...

http://www.mynewoffice.com/pcmuseum/AppleIII_336.jpg

Take a look at that photo - the bite in the apple comes from the old
version of the logo where the lower case 'a' partially intersected
with the apple image.

-Pawel
Jim M. (Guest)
Never mind found it...

> rake remote:exec ACTION=disable_web

guess the docs need updating :)
James L. (Guest)
On 3/6/06, Derrick S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Adam F. wrote:
> > Why "Capistrano"? Does this mean something? If not, it seems
> > needlessly confusing.
>
> http://jamis.jamisbuck.org/articles/2006/03/06/swi...

Vlad the Deployer is awesome.
Nicholas S. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Adam F. wrote:

> The only explanation that goes with Capistrano (and it's
> telling that I had to look up at the subject line to even remember
> what that word was again) is "uh, we couldn't find anything better".

Actually, Capistrano is a delicious italian lunchmeat. The name fit's
perfectly with Jamis' deployment tool; both are lean and delicious,
well deserving of some fine cheese and a french roll.
Adam F. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 04:48:11PM -0500, Nicholas S. wrote:
> Actually, Capistrano is a delicious italian lunchmeat. The name fit's
> perfectly with Jamis' deployment tool; both are lean and delicious,
> well deserving of some fine cheese and a french roll.

I stand corrected.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
Chad F. (Guest)
"Capistrano"....

It takes no skill to have an opinion about the name of a piece of
software.
It takes a lot of skill to create something as useful as Capistrano
and a lot of generosity to give it out for free.

Ultimately, if the software kicks ass, who cares what it's called?
Just be glad it exists.  We in the Ruby community have _free_ software
that's supported better than any commercial software I've ever
purchased and that kicks the ass of the deployment tools from every
other development environment I've ever touched.

Jamis, call it whatever you like.  Thanks for writing it, and thanks
for giving it to us for _free_.  I for one have no right to an opinion
about what you choose to call it.

--
Chad F.
http://chadfowler.com
On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Chad F. wrote:

> purchased and that kicks the ass of the deployment tools from every
> other development environment I've ever touched.
>
> Jamis, call it whatever you like.  Thanks for writing it, and thanks
> for giving it to us for _free_.  I for one have no right to an opinion
> about what you choose to call it.

Oh, you have every right to your opinion. I appreciate that you won't
force your opinion on me, or imply I'm stupid for having my own
opinion, though. :) Thanks for the support, Chad.

- Jamis
Steve L. (Guest)
What's in a name? That which we call a *Caspistrano by any other* name
would
smell as sweet.  :-)
Adam F. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 03:02:04PM -0700, Jamis B. wrote:
[...]
> >Jamis, call it whatever you like.  Thanks for writing it, and thanks
> >for giving it to us for _free_.  I for one have no right to an opinion
> >about what you choose to call it.
>
> Oh, you have every right to your opinion. I appreciate that you won't
> force your opinion on me, or imply I'm stupid for having my own
> opinion, though. :) Thanks for the support, Chad.

I apologize if you got the impression that I was trying to force
anything on you or imply anything about your intelligence.

I thought we were just having a discussion.

The app itself rocks, dude.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
Steve K. (Guest)
on 2006-03-07 00:21
I'm with Adam on this one. Meaningless names for things with a specific
function kinda suck. Why not Easy Deployer? Rake Autodeployer? Remote
Deployer? Distributed Deployer? Switchtower was nice because it was a
clear, apt metaphor for what the software does.

Even Application Pusher-Outer would be fine, in that when you tell
someone you just configured the Rails Application Pusher-Outer, they
know what you just did and what the Application Pusher-Outer does even
if they've never heard of it before.

Capistrano? That's a development codename.

Think about it: Tomcat, Cocoon, Jasper, Ant. All meaningless names. One
developer can be talking to another and unless the person listening is
already familiar with the tool or API in question, it's gibberish. On
the other hand, take ActiveRecord, ActionController, even rake. I hadn't
gotten to the Hello World stage in learning Rails and remember reading
those terms and without flipping to a glossary or doing a Google search
I knew those things pertained to data access, MVC and application
maintenance tasks respectively.

How do developers know Capistrano is something they want/need if they
nead to read up on it just to find out what it is? Just because some
things get by without meaningful names (Macintosh, Excel, Oreo) it
doesn't mean there isn't significant benefit to having one.

-sk

On 6 Mar 2006, at 21:00, Pawel S. wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer#Logo
>
> This article refutes that theory. So do nearly all of the official and
> unofficial Apple / Jobs biographies that mention the event that I've
> come across.

Not read many accounts, but that refutation appears to be based on
the rainbow stripe not matching the pride flag which seems a bit...
well... inconclusive.

> Take a look at that photo - the bite in the apple comes from the old
> version of the logo where the lower case 'a' partially intersected
> with the apple image.

For all we know, maybe that's just where the a fitted best. :-)

Ahh, well, I'm prepared to concede, however I don't think it matters.
All I know is every time I see the logo I think of Turing and what he
went through, what he gave us, etc. and that can't be a bad thing,
even if it was unintentional of the logo's designers.
Jamis B. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 3:21 PM, Steve K. wrote:

> I'm with Adam on this one. Meaningless names for things with a
> specific
> function kinda suck. Why not Easy Deployer? Rake Autodeployer? Remote
> Deployer? Distributed Deployer? Switchtower was nice because it was a
> clear, apt metaphor for what the software does.

Because it is not merely deployment software. Application deployment
just happens to be one of the things it does. SwitchTower wasn't
descriptive of what the software did, either, and yet I never heard a
_single_ complaint about it. If I had chosen Capistrano from day one,
no one would have complained about it, either.

At any rate, the decision is final. I'm not going to change the name
at this point. (That's not a command for people to stop venting
spleen, just an FYI.)

- Jamis
Bill G. (Guest)
On 3/6/06, Paul R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> of respect to the modern father of computing who died quite close to
>
> Anyway, I don't care about the name of software I use as long as:
>
> a) I can remember it
> b) I can spell it first time when I type it into Google trying to
> debug errors

The funny part about that one is Google was supposed to be Googol, but
they misspelled it :)
I imagine they kept it for the same reason, most people would misspell
it anyway (and they seem quite convinced - gmail's spell checker
flagged 'Googol')

> c) It's unique enough for it to show up in Google on the first page
> at least

Good points, and they worked for many products with seamingly
meaningless names:
Google, Yahoo!, Monster.com, perl, Python, even Ruby ;)

> Apart from c) which will no doubt be fixed when we all go blog this,
> I see no problem.
>
> --
> Paul R.

Bill G. (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".
Sean S. (Guest)
FYI: The term "SwitchTower" is still used on the front page of the
manual.  Wouldn't want you to get in more trouble. :)

<http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17>

-S
Jamis B. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 4:47 PM, Sean S. wrote:

> FYI: The term "SwitchTower" is still used on the front page of the
> manual.  Wouldn't want you to get in more trouble. :)
>
> <http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17>

Thanks, Sean. There's something broken with Hieraki, but I don't know
what. I've changed the text (even DELETED the text) and the old text
still shows up.

Hopefully this can get resolved quickly.

- Jamis
Kyle M. (Guest)
On 3/6/06, Jamis B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> >> multiple remote hosts. It was formerly known as SwitchTower.
> >>
> >> so you'll need to have at least Rake 0.7.0. You can still do "rake
> >> * The cap utility uses more rake-like command-line semantics.
> >> * For each of your Rails projects, do "cap -A .", keeping your

Page caching?

-Kyle
San (Guest)
Product naming is painful and I don't envy Jamis for having to go
through the process.  Good names require no marketing to spread and
people just 'get it', bad names are never entirely bad, they just
require large amounts of 'impressions' to get the message across to the
consumer/users (typically that means $$'s, perhaps in open source that
means blog writeups and books).

I'm wondering if a small tweak to the new gem name might satisfy the
'ease of grasp/ease of typing' needs, the needs for a non-trademark
infringing name, and create a name that re-enforces what the product is
without having to spend time/resources on branding/marketing to get the
message across.  Since I wasn't privy to the original naming discussion
here's my thought that I think would let us have our lunch meat and eat
it to:

'CapDeploy' - The Capistrano Parallel Remote Deployment and Remote
Execution System

  * keeps the 'cap' command
  * easy to type/read (capistrano isn't awful, but it's really hard on
the eyes fingers for the first 30mins if you've never seen it before).
  * re-enforces the deployment capabilities of the product (deploys
files and execution units).

Just my 2c,

Sanford
San (Guest)
* and it's not trademarked ;)
Rick O. (Guest)
>   * keeps the 'cap' command
>   * easy to type/read (capistrano isn't awful, but it's really hard on
> the eyes fingers for the first 30mins if you've never seen it before).
>   * re-enforces the deployment capabilities of the product (deploys
> files and execution units).
>
> Just my 2c,

That would limit capistrano to just deploying files.  It's actually
more then that...

Anyways, it's done.  I'm sure in a few months you won't even notice
the awkardness around the new name.  Remember when firebird became
firefox?

--
Rick O.
http://techno-weenie.net
Rick O. wrote:
 > That would limit capistrano to just deploying files.  It's actually
 > more then that...

I thought I covered that angle pretty well (both files & execution
units):

'CapDeploy' - The Capistrano Parallel Remote Deployment and Remote
Execution System
[...]
  * re-enforces the deployment capabilities of the product (deploys
files and execution units).

> Anyways, it's done.  I'm sure in a few months you won't even notice
> the awkardness around the new name.  Remember when firebird became
> firefox?

Both were easy to type and say, so I didn't think much of the switch.
But yes, with enough impressions over time, just about any name is fine.

-San
Derrick S. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Rick O. wrote:

> That would limit capistrano to just deploying files.  It's actually
> more then that...
>
> Anyways, it's done.  I'm sure in a few months you won't even notice
> the awkardness around the new name.  Remember when firebird became
> firefox?

Or when whatever-it-was-called became Camino.  See ... I can't even
remember.

-Derrick S.
Larry W. (Guest)
On 3/6/06, Adam F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I think that
> names at least try to have some relation to their purpose. Names for
> products should have some reason why they're better than other words
> for that product, and Capistrano, while not bad, is simply no better
> than anything else. Why not "Larry", then? It's at least short and
> easy to remember.

I would like to voice my enthusiastic support for using this name :)
John-Mason P. Shackelford (Guest)
As one who's spent time in San Juan Capistrano, I must say that my
first thought was of the historic train station an easy walk from the
mission. There is no switch yard there, but the name does invoke train
images for me.

--
John-Mason Shackelford
Software Developer

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://pearsonedmeasurement.com
Tom M. (Guest)
On Mar 7, 2006, at 7:19 AM, John-Mason P. Shackelford wrote:

> As one who's spent time in San Juan Capistrano, I must say that my
> first thought was of the historic train station an easy walk from the
> mission. There is no switch yard there, but the name does invoke train
> images for me.

Funny. When I heard Capistrano was the new name, I immediately thought
it was a reference to your code infallibly ending up where it belonged,
like the birds that return there every year.

--
-- Tom M.
Giles B. (Guest)

(Although I would have liked Vlad the Deployer, I have to admit.)

On 3/6/06, Chad F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> other development environment I've ever touched.
> and All I Got Was This Lousy Book)
> http://rubycentral.org
> http://rubygarden.org
> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)

Giles Goat Boy

http://gilesmakesmusic.blogspot.com
http://gileswritescode.blogspot.com
Joe B. (Guest)
In article
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
 "James L." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
 wrote:

> On 3/6/06, Derrick S.
> >
> > On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Adam F. wrote:
> > > Why "Capistrano"? Does this mean something? If not, it seems
> > > needlessly confusing.
> >
> > http://jamis.jamisbuck.org/articles/2006/03/06/swi...
>
> Vlad the Deployer is awesome.

I kind of wish Jamis had gone with this too. OTOH, I don't really care
what it's called as long as it works.

Thanks for making a tool like this available to the rest of us, Jamis.

--
Joe B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Have GNU, will travel.
Steve K. (Guest)
on 2006-03-24 00:48
Don't know if this has come up yet, but it would be great if the gem
installer for capistrano would check to make sure rake >= 0.7 is
installed and at least issue a warning. After  upgrading from ST to cap
1.1, "rake migrate" seemed broken until I thought to try updating rake
on all my machines. It worked.

Thanks.

Jamis B. wrote:
> Capistrano is a utility for executing tasks in parallel across
> multiple remote hosts. It was formerly known as SwitchTower.
>
> Installation:
>
>    gem install capistrano
>
> Manual:
>
>    http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17
Jamis B. (Guest)
Steve,

Good point. I thought I had that set up in the gemspec, but
apparently not.

- Jamis