Forum: Ruby installing win32-process

rtilley (Guest)
Can this be installed with gem?

I don't have a C compiler. According to the README in the
win32-process-0.3.2 zip file, I need one to install. Why can't I use gem
to get it?

When I do 'gem query --remote --name-matches win32' I see these gems:

win32-clipboard
win32-sapi
win32-service
win32-sound

But none of the other win32 packages.

I'm new to Ruby, perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?

Thanks,
Brad
rtilley (Guest)
rtilley wrote:
> Can this be installed with gem?
>
> I don't have a C compiler. According to the README in the
> win32-process-0.3.2 zip file, I need one to install. Why can't I use gem
> to get it?

I think it's installed. I used the one-click windows installer so it
should be installed, right? I also found the win32Utils installer and
ran that just to make sure. However, I don't know how to use this
functionality... all of this fails:

require 'win32-process'
require 'win32porcess'
include win32-process
include win32process

Sorry for all of the posts, but info I find on Google is not helping.
For example, this URL:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/85/72/process.txt

Shows this:

require "win32-process"
include Win32

Yet, neither of these work. I see LoadErrors and NameErrors when I try
doing that. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad