Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: Re: Agile Web Development with Rails 1.1

Peña, Botp (Guest)
On Behalf Of Dave T.:

#Somewhere out there there's a decent answer, and I'm a-waiting'

This may not be decent, but i see more and more people clamoring for
uptodate manuals/books/docs on rails. I think it is a very good (if not
great) sign that rails (and the rails community) is exploding in growth.

what i'm trying to get into is: I think it is high time that we have a
Rails magazine or journal of some sort. Not too expensive yet very
handy, very updated...

kind regards -botp

#Dave
Carl Y. (Guest)
Actually, better than a magazine would be a good set of annotated
documentation hosted at the main site (rubyonrails.org).  That was a
strong
driving force in the PHP community, and I think it would go a long way
toward helping newbies on rails.  railsmanual.org is okay, but it lacks
"getting started" section.  All you have is an alphabetical listing of
method and class names, without dividing them into common categories or
tags, and you don't have anything for a beginner getting started in
rails.
It would be great to have those additions to the current manual.  That
would
make it a truly valuable research.

>This may not be decent, but i see more and more people clamoring for
uptodate
>manuals/books/docs on rails. I think it is a very good (if not great) sign
that rails
Carl Y. (Guest)
Oops, meant to say "research tool."
Michael T. (Guest)
I agree here.  I've wanted this for a while now.

Michael
Giles B. (Guest)
On 3/6/06, Carl Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Actually, better than a magazine would be a good set of annotated
> documentation hosted at the main site (rubyonrails.org).  That was a strong
> driving force in the PHP community, and I think it would go a long way
> toward helping newbies on rails.  railsmanual.org is okay, but it lacks a
> "getting started" section.  All you have is an alphabetical listing of
> method and class names, without dividing them into common categories or
> tags, and you don't have anything for a beginner getting started in rails.
> It would be great to have those additions to the current manual.  That would
> make it a truly valuable research.  (research tool that is)

railsn00b.org!

realistically, though, couldn't you fulfill the goals of a Rails
magazine with a blog?

Giles
John C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-06 23:11
Giles B. wrote:
> On 3/6/06, Carl Y. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Actually, better than a magazine would be a good set of annotated
>> documentation hosted at the main site (rubyonrails.org).

> realistically, though, couldn't you fulfill the goals of a Rails
> magazine with a blog?

Or a wiki? http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails

John
Giles B. (Guest)