Forum: Ruby Advice for general-purpose programming with Ruby

rtilley (Guest)
Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a Ruby book this evening. I'm not a Web developer. I'm
a general-purpose programmer well-versed in Python and C. I want to
learn Ruby better. I have no interest in Rails. What book should I buy?

Thanks,
Brad
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 3, 2006, at 2:28 PM, rtilley wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm going to buy a Ruby book this evening. I'm not a Web developer.
> I'm a general-purpose programmer well-versed in Python and C. I
> want to learn Ruby better. I have no interest in Rails. What book
> should I buy?

Programming Ruby is perfect for you:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html

James Edward G. II
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
rtilley wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm going to buy a Ruby book this evening. I'm not a Web developer. I'm
> a general-purpose programmer well-versed in Python and C. I want to
> learn Ruby better. I have no interest in Rails. What book should I buy?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

The pickaxe book (Thomas and Hunt) is great. The first ed. comes with
the ruby installer for windows. The second ed. is updated for ruby 1.8,
so worth getting, if you like the the way the first ed. reads.
rtilley (Guest)
Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> The pickaxe book (Thomas and Hunt) is great. The first ed. comes with
> the ruby installer for windows. The second ed. is updated for ruby 1.8,
> so worth getting, if you like the the way the first ed. reads.

Thank you both. I've reserved a copy at Barnes & Noble. Looking forward
to reading it. You see... Python hackers and Ruby hackers can get along!

Thanks again,
Brad
greg.rb (Guest)
i liked 'the ruby way' by hal fulton - it also has an appendix for
python programmers.

if you want more of a reference manual the pick axe is #1
Alex C. (Guest)
On 3/3/06, greg.rb <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> i liked 'the ruby way' by hal fulton - it also has an appendix for
> python programmers.
>
> if you want more of a reference manual the pick axe is #1

A few chapters of The Ruby Way are available online if you would
like to check them out:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=269...