Forum: Ruby ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

unknown (Guest)
Greetings,

After having used Ruby for some time, first on Windows and Linux, my
colleague and I together decided to upgrade our WinXP systems to Ruby
1.8.4.  He used the Window's installer version while I decided to build
my own.  Coincidentally, we're both getting the same error when trying
to test our installation w/a simple helloworld.rb applet.

> ruby
> p "test"

upon hitting enter and BEFORE I end the file for ruby to process the
stdin, we get the following error:

ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

irb runs just fine, btw.  Any idea what's wrong here?

Thx,

Ken
Caleb T. (Guest)
> ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

It sounds like your RUBYOPT environment variable is set to "-rubygems",
load gems, but you don't have rubygems installed.

You should be able to either install gems, or unset that variable.

Caleb
unknown (Guest)
That did the trick!  Thanks Caleb!

Ken