Forum: Ruby on Rails rjs isn't update_page problems

Curtis E. (Guest)
i have a list of, for example, meal_names. Basically, I can submit a
name
and the name I add shows up in the list.I had this working wehn i
created an
actual add.rjs template for it. So feeling good about my self, I
attempted
to move it all to the controller and use some update_page goodness. Now
it
the ajax middle doesn't happen. I don't get any errors but the list
doesn't
update unless I refresh the page. I am not on edge rails (since it broke
my
app) but I am running cody's RJS plug-in which I believe supports this
behavior. Can anyone provide me any insight into what it's not working?
It
would be much appreciated. Here's my view:

meal name: <%= text_field 'meal_name', 'name' %>
<%= submit_tag 'Add' %>
<%= end_form_tag %>

<ul id="name_list">
<% @meal_names.each do |meal_name| -%>
    <li><b><%= meal_name.name %></b> <font size="0"><%= link_to
"delete", {
:controller => 'meal_names', :action => 'destroy', :id => meal_name.id},
:confirm => "are you sure you want to delete #{meal_name.name}?"
%></font></li>
<% end -%>
</ul>

and in my controller

  def add
    @name = MealName.new
    if request.post?
        @name = MealName.create( params[:meal_name] )
        update_page do |page|
        page.insert_html :bottom, 'name_list', "<li>#{@name.name}</li>"
        page.visual_effect :highlight, 'name_list'

Cody F. (Guest)
Curtis,

Try changing your call to update_page to:

render :update do |page|
  page.insert_html :bottom, 'name_list', "<li>#{@name.name}</li>"
  page.visual_effect :highlight, 'name_list'
end

Also note that a lot of bleeding edge RJS features are not yet
available in the plugin, so you may want to try getting Edge working.

On 3/3/06, Curtis E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> :controller => 'meal_names', :action => 'destroy', :id => meal_name.id},
>     if request.post?
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Cody F.