Forum: Ruby on Rails Message Board?

Michael Anderson (Guest)
I'm interested in working on a message board application that uses ruby
on
rails.

I'd like to see something end up similar to vBullieten, but with more of
37signals type of less-is-more philosophy... mostly meaning less need
for
preferences and settings and configurations.

I've checked rubyforge, and it looks like there are various forum apps
uploaded there, some a little better than others, but none of the ones
I've
checked out are anywhere close to being as streamlined and clean as I
want.

I'm thinking about writing my own forum, not only because writing your
own
code is the best way to get what you want, but also because im sure
that'd
be a good way to get more comfortable with ruby on rails... but before I
jumped into that I wanted to see if there are any forum/message board
projects that stand out as something everyone thinks is a good solid
ruby
forum.

Michael Anderson wrote:
> I want.
>
> I'm thinking about writing my own forum, not only because writing your
> own code is the best way to get what you want, but also because im sure
> that'd be a good way to get more comfortable with ruby on rails... but
> before I jumped into that I wanted to see if there are any forum/message
> board projects that stand out as something everyone thinks is a good
> solid ruby forum.

Hello
Have you checked out this one?:
http://rforum.andreas-s.net/trac/
Howard R. (Guest)
Unless you are very comfortable with acts_as_tree, I'd strongly suggest
if
you are going to build something from scratch using Bob S.'s
acts_as_threaded plugin:

http://www.railtie.net/articles/2006/02/05/rails-a...

It is a beautiful thing :)

HTH,
Dean
Howard R. (Guest)
On 3/3/06, Howard R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Unless you are very comfortable with acts_as_tree

D,oh! That should have read acts_as_nested_set!
Michael (Guest)
on 2006-03-04 00:12
Howard R. wrote:
> On 3/3/06, Howard R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Unless you are very comfortable with acts_as_tree
>>
> D,oh! That should have read acts_as_nested_set!

Interesting stuff. I didnt know this list was viewable in message board
format! hah.

I haven't dug into the rails tree stuff yet, but I think I probably
should.

In message boards in general, do you all think threaded messages is that
important? as opposed to topics with messages ordered by date, rather
than having every message be a reply to another individual message...
whats the real benefit of that?
Andreas S. (Guest)
on 2006-03-04 01:13
Michael wrote:
> Howard R. wrote:
>> On 3/3/06, Howard R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless you are very comfortable with acts_as_tree
>>>
>> D,oh! That should have read acts_as_nested_set!
>
> Interesting stuff. I didnt know this list was viewable in message board
> format! hah.
>
> I haven't dug into the rails tree stuff yet, but I think I probably
> should.
>
> In message boards in general, do you all think threaded messages is that
> important? as opposed to topics with messages ordered by date, rather
> than having every message be a reply to another individual message...
> whats the real benefit of that?

RForum (www.ruby-forum.com) uses a threaded data structure internally,
you could easily write a view to represent that. I prefer flat topics,
but threading is important for the mailing list interface, that's why I
implemented it.