Forum: Ruby on Rails Dreamhost rating?

Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi, I'm looking at getting some hosting to support RoR development.
Thus,
how would you rate Dream Host?

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad
Manuel H. (Guest)
Am 03.03.2006 um 01:06 schrieb Conrad T.:

> Hi, I'm looking at getting some hosting to support RoR
> development.  Thus, how would you rate Dream Host?

I don't know DreamHost but I can only recommend Textdrive. They are
very responsive, able and have fair plans.

*m
Ted K. (Guest)
I'd rate it SLOW for rails
subimage interactive (Guest)
Their shared plans are pretty slow - and it used to be worse. I have a
client who wanted to skimp on hosting and chose to go with them because
they
were cheap.

The problem I guess is that your application gets paged out of memory if
it
doesn't get enough hits and so the first hit back has a startup penalty
of
paging the data back into ram.

There also was a time where FCGI was busted but it seems to be working
well
these days.

You get what you pay for IMHO.
Ryan P. (Guest)
I host three sites with them, but I can't attest to their Rails support
since I have not yet used it. However, like the others have pointed out,
it
can be slow at times, but I've never had in outage in over two years.
But,
others may have a different story to tell. They also, do some strange
things
with unix users and MySQL DBs that I wish I could change, but alas, I
cannot.

Overall, I find it reasonable for my own personal use, but I have not
yet
been in a situation where I've needed to do hosting for a business and
cannot attest to their quality on that end. But, as shared hosting
goes...
be wary. Like it has been said, you can get what you pay for.

Best,
Ryan
Serdar Kılıç (Guest)
Except TextDrive isn't for testing/development. I just came across this
today:

http://www.textdrive.com/faqs/16

--
Cheers,
Serdar Kilic

-S
ben wiseley (Guest)
Because replicating the host environment on your local box is often
difficult, if not impossible... and, at the very least, would make
development a lot slower.
Scott H. (Guest)
Yeah, if you're not developing locally and deploying to your host,
TextDrive isn't the place for you. You need to be somewhere where your
mistakes won't hurt other folks.

--Scott
Sean S. (Guest)
I don't know about you, but I don't want my live site running on a
shared host where there are others developing/testing.  All those
others starting/stopping Ruby processes and web servers while my site
is trying to serve.  No thanks.

-S
Serdar Kılıç (Guest)
You (I) generally wouldn't, the only testing that I'd probably do is
some general usability, or a pre-release (invite only) testing. But at
that stage your application will be pretty much stable and hopefully
wouldn't misbehave.

--
Cheers,
Serdar Kilic

Dreamhost is dead cheap, and I've had no problems with outages.  The
few support questions I've posed have been answered quickly enough,
and I think they're a very good deal.  OTOH, when my Dreamhost site is
idle for a while, the first hit to it takes several seconds to respond
(presumably while my stuff is being paged back in on their servers).

For the price, it can't be beat.

If the paging-out bothers you, then you might want to consider
skipping over all shared hosting servers and looking at one of the
Xen-based providers where you get a (virtual) machine all to yourself,
with dedicated resources.  The cost jumps significantly for this level
of service.  I'm possibly nearing that point with one app, but haven't
yet made the leap.

Regards

Dave M.
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi, thank you all for getting back to me.  I simply wanted to get a host
that supports RoR development for my potential clients to view my
portfolio
as well as execute the demos there.  If I'm going to sell them on RoR,
then
it simply needs to work and work very well.  At this time, I'm doing
local
development and testing on my local box (i.e Mac OS X).  In additional
getting a hosting account, I need the following:

a)  Definitive guide to configuring the most efficient RoR + Apache
development environment (i.e. Mac OS 10.4 Client) locally.  At this
     time, I have seen too many blog posts about this and I'm not sure
which
one to follow.  I need this information just in the invent that
     they, my client, is with a hosting company that doesn't have
support
for RoR.  This information I will supply to the hosting company.
     In short, I need detail steps as to how to achieve this task.

b)  Definitive list as to what gems and/or plugins one needs as a
professional developer that one can use in both development and
     production.

If anyone needs any additional information, please post a message to the
group and I'll respond at my earliest convience.  Well, I must go and
thanks
in advance.

-Conrad
Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-03 04:58
Conrad T. wrote:
> If anyone needs any additional information, please post a message to the
> group and I'll respond at my earliest convience.  Well, I must go and
> thanks
> in advance.

I would be interested in knowing how your Dreamhost experience goes.

I'm on dreamhost and have really liked their tech support, but their
rails support seems a bit lacking.  My site (www.hawksnews.com) does not
get much traffic and once in a while (once a day, perhaps) I get a 500
error.  Simply refreshing the browser solves the problem.  I haven't
been able to figure out why and some other Rails developers have
complained of the same problem.  I suspect it has something to do with
the MySQL setup but I'm not expert enough to figure it out.

Thanks
Jeff
Scott B. (Guest)
I get this too with a site I run - www.ssscr.org - mysterious
occasional 500 error. Sucks! So does the 200-emails-an-hour limit.
Everything else about Dreamhost rules though. I would recommend them.
But I too am about to make the switch to VPS.

--
Scott B.
Web D.

Electro Interactive
www.ElectroInteractive.com
Nola S. (Guest)
but I don't plan on hosting any heavy traffic sites.

On 3/2/06, Scott B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> www.ElectroInteractive.com
> >
> > Thanks

http://PhpGirl.blogger.com
http://CodeSnipers.com
Jim Zajkowski (Guest)
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Scott B. wrote:

> But I too am about to make the switch to VPS.

What we did was buy a Mac mini and get it colocated -- $500 for the box
(the older PowerPC model) and a $50 colocation per month at a local ISP
is
way, way better than paying $90 a month to be a share on a system.
Ubuntu
"server" runs on it.

I realize a Mac mini is not "data center grade" but really, it doesn't
matter.  We do backups off it to a disk on site.

I'd call around -- many local ISPs will do simple colocation for great
prices.

--Jim
Justin F. (Guest)
Jim Zajkowski wrote:
> matter.  We do backups off it to a disk on site.
>
> I'd call around -- many local ISPs will do simple colocation for great
> prices.

Jim - if you don't mind me asking, what bandwidth are you getting at
that price?

TIA

   Justin
Manish S. (Guest)
i've been looking at server4you which gives you a dedicated box for
40/mo.
William (Guest)
on 2006-03-07 23:52
Ryan P. wrote:
> but I've never had in outage in over two years.

with DreamHost?  Do you mind if I ask what server you're on?

I think DH is a great first step for most developers.  Yes DH has a keen
watchdog for runaway fastcgi processes, but as they aren't leaking I
don't believe they get killed (how are you keeping track of this?).

Cheers,

~William
http://www.railshosting.org
...helping Rails developers find hosting and deploy their apps