Forum: Ruby Unix Shell

Greg J. (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 17:22
I'm new to RUBY, but am familar with other scripting languages, PHP,
Perl, Wscript, etc.   I'd like to be able to run items from the shell
such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt.  Just an example.  Can I do this?

I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found".   Hope they can
get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

Thanks in advance.
-Greg
James B. (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 17:35
Greg Johnson wrote:
> I'd like to be able to run items from the shell
> such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt.  Just an example.  Can I do this?

Try the Pickaxe book, the first edition is available on-line in pdf
format.  You can pass commands to the shell directly using back ticks `s
-l > dirlisting.txt` or the %x expansion %x{echo "me, me, me..."}

Regards,
Jim
Gregory S. (Guest)
}
} I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
} when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found".   Hope they can
} get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

There are two ways. One way:

file_list = `ls -l`.scan(/^.*$/)[1..-1]
file_list.each { |line|
  puts "permissions for #{line[49..-1]} are #{line[1..9]}"
}

The other way:

system('ls -l > dirlisting.txt')

} Thanks in advance.
} -Greg
--Greg
Greg J. (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 18:21
Thanks for the tips, they work like a charm.  Does anyone know why the
search functionality doesn't work?
Anthony DeRobertis (Guest)
Greg Johnson wrote:

> Thanks for the tips, they work like a charm.  Does anyone know why the
> search functionality doesn't work?

Not sure, but this search does:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.general
Robert K. (Guest)
Gregory S. wrote:

> file_list = `ls -l`.scan(/^.*$/)[1..-1]
> file_list.each { |line|
>   puts "permissions for #{line[49..-1]} are #{line[1..9]}"
> }
>
> The other way:
>
> system('ls -l > dirlisting.txt')

There are plenty of other ways.

system "ls", "-l"
system "bash", "-c", "ls -l > dirlisting.txt"
Dir["*"].each {|f| File.symlink? f and puts f}

Cheers

    robert