Forum: Ruby on Rails Use ActiveRecord outside of Rails to upload to database?

Chris J. (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 16:33
Sorry if this has been asked in the past, but the search function is
still down...

My scenario:
For my research agency, I'm trying to download XML files from the
National Weather Service (NWS) and import certain data into my SQL
Server database. Normally, I would use .NET to do this, but I'm trying
to find a Ruby solution.

Question:
Suppose I write a Ruby script to run every hour, collect the XML, parse,
and upload to the database. Can/should I use ActiveRecord for this? I'm
not even sure HOW this would work, let alone IF. I've been successful at
AJAX-ifying the retrieval/display of the XML (using REXML), but the next
step is to store some of the data in SQL Server. I would like to utilize
my current YAML config file too.

Any tips?
Thanks,
Chris
Mikkel B. (Guest)
Search the wiki.rubyonrails.org for this...

many good examples...

On Thursday, March 02, 2006, at 3:33 PM, Chris Jennings wrote:
>Suppose I write a Ruby script to run every hour, collect the XML, parse,
>--

Mikkel B.

www.strongside.dk    - Football Portal(DK)
nflfeed.helenius.org - Football News(DK)
ting.minline.dk      - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)
Chris J. (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 22:20
Mikkel,
Thanks. Shortly after I posted, I found a wiki page describing it.
Thanks for the reminder to check that wiki more often.