Forum: Ruby on Rails plugin versioning

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
David C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 03:04
(Received via mailing list)
When I install a plugin, does Rails record the version installed
anywhere?
Maybe I'm not doing it the "right" way, but I've excluded vendors from
my
source repository.  I'd like some 'record' of what plugins are used that
is
under source control.

David
Łukasz Piestrzeniewicz (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 08:24
(Received via mailing list)
On 01/03/06, David C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> When I install a plugin, does Rails record the version installed anywhere?
> Maybe I'm not doing it the "right" way, but I've excluded vendors from my
> source repository.  I'd like some 'record' of what plugins are used that is
> under source control.

If you are working with svn use svn:externals:

$ svn propset svn:externals "rcss_engine
svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rcss/trunk/rcss" vendor/plugins
$ svn ci -m "added rcss_engine to plugins and put it under version
control"
$ svn up vendor/plugins

If you use a tag url you will always know which exact tag of
plugin/engine you are using. You can in addidtion specify exact
version to include (see Subversion manual).

If you use other VCS than try to find similiar functionality.
David C. (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 12:13
(Received via mailing list)
On Thursday 02 March 2006 01:24 am, Łukasz Piestrzeniewicz wrote:
> $ svn ci -m "added rcss_engine to plugins and put it under version control"
> $ svn up vendor/plugins
>
> If you use a tag url you will always know which exact tag of
> plugin/engine you are using. You can in addidtion specify exact
> version to include (see Subversion manual).
>
> If you use other VCS than try to find similiar functionality.

I don't think that comes close to what I want. That keeps my personal
workspace up to date (if I understand SVN).  I want my projects source
repository to know what it depends that's not in it.

And more to the point, I'm talking about when I use "script/plugin
install".
Łukasz Piestrzeniewicz (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 18:29
(Received via mailing list)
On 02/03/06, David C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I don't think that comes close to what I want. That keeps my personal
> workspace up to date (if I understand SVN).  I want my projects source
> repository to know what it depends that's not in it.
>
> And more to the point, I'm talking about when I use "script/plugin install".

Actually that is exactly what it does. Value of svn:externals is
stored in your project repository. That means that every person that
checks out your project will automatically check out version you
provided with -r parameter from external repository location you
specified.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.