Forum: Ruby pthreads on HPUX

unknown (Guest)
There are some historical references to a problem with compiling Ruby
with pthread support for HPUX:

  http://www.codecomments.com/archive327-2005-4-470857.html

Although there is also a report here that it works:

  http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20050424

It looks like the "fixed" report comes directly after the "broken" one,
and some of the same people are involved. I would expect that the
current sitaution is "fixed", but I've not been able to find a blazing,
40 point: "it works - go install it" that I can convince people here
with. Could anyone in the know, please confirm the current situation?

Thanks you very much,
  Benjohn
Daniel A. (Guest)
Sorry for the late reply.

This isn't any 40 point process, but maybe it'll do:

mental is the guy that wrote it, and he (apparently) uses ruby on hpux
quite a bit.

Dan Amelang
unknown (Guest)
Quoting Daniel A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> This isn't any 40 point process, but maybe it'll do:
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/...
>
> mental is the guy that wrote it, and he (apparently) uses ruby on
> hpux quite a bit.

I don't recall having any problems with pthreads, but then I haven't
been trying to use extensions which actively require them either.

In general HP-UX is a bad platform for building any software which
wasn't written specifically for it.  Use something else if you
possibly can.

-mental
Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:03:50AM +0900, removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

> I don't recall having any problems with pthreads, but then I haven't
> been trying to use extensions which actively require them either.
>
> In general HP-UX is a bad platform for building any software which
> wasn't written specifically for it.  Use something else if you
> possibly can.
>
> -mental

ugly is right, but I had even more issues than those with HPUX 11v2 on
itanium2, with ucontext_t not containing the members it used to on
the HP9000.  Finally gave up and wrote project stuff in Perl :P

Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler
unknown (Guest)
Quoting "Ralph \"PJPizza\" Siegler" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> ugly is right, but I had even more issues than those with HPUX
> 11v2 on itanium2, with ucontext_t not containing the members it
> used to on the HP9000.

Well, that part's not anyone's fault really.  ucontext_t is very
architecture-dependent.  Any code that's got to poke around in it
is almost inevitably going to have to be adjusted to accomodate new
platforms.

-mental