Forum: Ruby on Rails Error installing the MySQL Ruby bindings?

Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi, I attempted to install the MySQL Ruby bindings and I received the
following errors:

> gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
Local gem file not found: mysql*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'mysql'
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
        --with-opt-dir
        --without-opt-dir
        --with-opt-include
        --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
        --with-opt-lib
        --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
        --with-make-prog
        --without-make-prog
        --srcdir=.
        --curdir
        --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
        --with-mysql-config
        --without-mysql-config
        --with-mysql-dir
        --with-mysql-include
        --without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include
        --with-mysql-lib
        --without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib
        --with-mysqlclientlib
        --without-mysqlclientlib
        --with-mlib
        --without-mlib
        --with-mysqlclientlib
        --without-mysqlclientlib
        --with-zlib
        --without-zlib
        --with-mysqlclientlib
        --without-mysqlclientlib
        --with-socketlib
        --without-socketlib
        --with-mysqlclientlib
        --without-mysqlclientlib
        --with-nsllib
        --without-nsllib
        --with-mysqlclientlib
        --without-mysqlclientlib
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for inspection.
  ruby extconf.rb install mysql --
--with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql\nchecking for mysql_query() in
-lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

Results logged to
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out
Łukasz Piestrzeniewicz (Guest)
On 01/03/06, Conrad T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi, I attempted to install the MySQL Ruby bindings and I received the
> following errors:

[snip]

First of all native mysql bindings are not mandatory, Rails works just
fine with Ruby bindings for development and testing.

It would be great if you could provide some additional info on the
system you use.

Make sure development packages for mysql are installed (mysql-devel
rpm on Fedora for example.) Find 'mysql_config' config in your system
and adjust path below if necessary:

# cd /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/
# ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config
# make
# make install
# gem install mysql

Last command is probably not necessary, but just to be sure ;)
bbqbaker (Guest)
on 2006-03-01 16:08
Ha, I am an expert at this. well sort of, i spent all weekend trying to
fix a similiar problem. thanks to the people here, i was able to get
everything up and running./

i think the simpliest way to fix this is uninstally ruby, gems, and
mysql. install ruby, install gems, install rails, then run "gem install
mysql". afterwards, install the mysql libraries/control center/mysql
admin, etc...

also make sure you have a c compiler. in ubuntu, its build-essential.

Conrad T. wrote:
> Hi, I attempted to install the MySQL Ruby bindings and I received the
> following errors:
>
>> gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
> Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
> Local gem file not found: mysql*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'mysql'
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> Provided configuration options:
>         --with-opt-dir
>         --without-opt-dir
>         --with-opt-include
>         --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
>         --with-opt-lib
>         --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
>         --with-make-prog
>         --without-make-prog
>         --srcdir=.
>         --curdir
>         --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
>         --with-mysql-config
>         --without-mysql-config
>         --with-mysql-dir
>         --with-mysql-include
>         --without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include
>         --with-mysql-lib
>         --without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib
>         --with-mysqlclientlib
>         --without-mysqlclientlib
>         --with-mlib
>         --without-mlib
>         --with-mysqlclientlib
>         --without-mysqlclientlib
>         --with-zlib
>         --without-zlib
>         --with-mysqlclientlib
>         --without-mysqlclientlib
>         --with-socketlib
>         --without-socketlib
>         --with-mysqlclientlib
>         --without-mysqlclientlib
>         --with-nsllib
>         --without-nsllib
>         --with-mysqlclientlib
>         --without-mysqlclientlib
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
>     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> Gem files will remain installed in
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for inspection.
>   ruby extconf.rb install mysql --
> --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql\nchecking for mysql_query() in
> -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lm... yes
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lz... yes
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lsocket... no
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lnsl... no
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
>

> Results logged to
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi, here are some details about my system:

Power Mac G5
Mac OS X 10.4.5

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hey bbqbaker, thanks for getting back to me and your resolution to the
problem but I'm not going to rebuild everything again to install on
optional component.  Also, I do have the Xcode 2.2 install and
operational to perform the build(s).

-Conrad
bbqbaker (Guest)
on 2006-03-02 16:09
somehow i think, one of your installations of ruby, rails, or gem got
corrupted. i was recieving the same problem as yourself, it could just
be that gems is looking for something but in the wrong directory.