Forum: Ruby on Rails form questions

Vapid B. (Guest)
I have a very simple form that looks allows an input for an error code
and then give the show page from the scaffolding if the error code is
in the database and a notification on the list page, again from the
scaffolding if not.

Here's the form:
find.rhtml
<h1>Find error</h1>
<%= start_form_tag :action => 'search'%>
<%= text_field 'message', 'code'  %></p>
 <%= submit_tag 'Search' %>
<%= end_form_tag %>

<%= link_to 'Back', :action => 'list' %>

Here's the method, search in the controller

 def search
   code=params[:message]["code"]
   @message = Message.find_by_code(code)
   if @message.nil?
       #render :action => 'find'
       flash[:notice] = "Code #{code} not found!\n Please choose a
code from this list"
       flash[:error] = 'Boom'
       redirect_to :action => 'list'
   else
       redirect_to :action => 'show', :id => @message

It works except for the fact that flash[:error] does not display and
in fact if I try :error for the first flash, it will not display.

Aside from this problem is their a better way to do this. I have the
agile book and googled quite a bit to finally find how to pass
non-database elements from a form to the controller, but I've lost the
link. I'm new to web apps so I don't know what the accepted practice
is for something like this so any helpful advise or criticism is
appreciated.

--
-john
--

did you change anything on the scaffolded layout. In your view/layouts
folder is there a scaffold layout for the controller? And in this

Regards
Jan P.
Vapid B. (Guest)
I did everything in the generated controller, so I didn't change the
layout.  I'm not sure about your last question? I just call flash.
With :notice it works, with :error it does not. I'll double check my
Agile book but from what you are saying I didn't supply the needed
display code for error.

On 3/2/06, Jan P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 2/27/06, Vapid Babble <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>    @message = Message.find_by_code(code)
>
> --

-john
--
Ben M. (Guest)
Doesn't look like you're doing anything with flash[:error] in your view.

in there... Try putting that with :error instead... bet yah it'll work.

PS: I actually saved the model object in the flash on error, cuz that
has all the errors
in it. Then I can use error_messages_for in the view.