Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 1.1

Don M. (Guest)
on 2006-02-27 16:17
It was said at one time that Rails 1.1 might be released in February. Is
that still likely?

Thanks,
Don Mc
Derrick S. (Guest)
Well, since tomorrow is the last day of February, I wouldn't hold my
breath.  However, there has been a flurry of activity on the core
mailing list this weekend.  Rails 1.1 draweth neigh...

-Derrick S.
Hendrik M. (Guest)
> Rails 1.1 draweth neigh...

Is there by any chance some document available summarizing all the
(major) beautiful new stuff in Rails 1.1?

--
http://www.mans.de
Joe Van D. (Guest)
> > Rails 1.1 draweth neigh...
>
> Is there by any chance some document available summarizing all the
> (major) beautiful new stuff in Rails 1.1?

svn diff http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/tags/rel_1-0-0/

:-)
Hendrik M. (Guest)
> > Is there by any chance some document available summarizing all the
> > (major) beautiful new stuff in Rails 1.1?
>
> svn diff http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk
> http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/tags/rel_1-0-0/

My question originally used the word "listing", but I replaced it with
"summarizing" because I expected that kind of reply. Thanks for not
disappointing.

So I take it the answer is "no"?

--
http://www.mans.de
Steve L. (Guest)

The individual rails "components" have ChangeLogs that describe what has
changed since the last "official" release.  You can have a look online
at:

http://dev.rubyonrails.com/svn/rails/trunk/actionm...
http://dev.rubyonrails.com/svn/rails/trunk/actionp...
http://dev.rubyonrails.com/svn/rails/trunk/actionw...
http://dev.rubyonrails.com/svn/rails/trunk/activer...
http://dev.rubyonrails.com/svn/rails/trunk/railtie...

It might be a fun project to write some code to parse these files
including
everything above a line that doesn't have * (date of some kind) * and
merge
them into a single file for consumption, or maybe that is the kind of
fun
only a masochist programmer would enjoy  :-)

-Steve
http://www.stevelongdo.com
Hendrik M. (Guest)
> The individual rails "components" have ChangeLogs that describe what has
> changed since the last "official" release.  You can have a look online at:

I'm aware of the availability of full changelogs. I did actually use
the word "summary" on purpose.

I've already understood that the answer to my question is "no". Since
I actually waded through the changelogs earlier, maybe I'll write
something up tomorrow. The naive little Rails lubber in me was hoping
that someone more familiar with 1.1 had already prepared something
similar.

--
http://www.mans.de
Jeremy K. (Guest)
Hendrik M. (Guest)
> Hendrik, you may count on a "New in 1.1" update along with its release.

I know. I was hoping for kind of a preview, since I know there are
people out there who've been working with HEAD and are somewhat
up-to-date on what awaits us in 1.1.

--
http://www.mans.de
Charlie B. (Guest)

> Hendrik, you may count on a "New in 1.1" update along with its release.

Charlie B.
recentrambles.com
Derrick S. (Guest)
On Feb 27, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Hendrik M. wrote:

>> Hendrik, you may count on a "New in 1.1" update along with its
>> release.
>
> I know. I was hoping for kind of a preview, since I know there are
> people out there who've been working with HEAD and are somewhat
> up-to-date on what awaits us in 1.1.

Well, I'm not a guru by any stretch, but I know that at least as far
as active record is concerned two big things are polymorphic
associations and the :through option on associations.  I'm pretty
sure that both of these features are explained in the wiki.  You may
want to have a pre-release look :)

-Derrick S.
Derrick S. (Guest)
On Feb 27, 2006, at 3:57 PM, Charlie B. wrote:

> I know that no one knows the date, but does anyone know if we're
> getting close to a release?

Yes, we are... but you're right, no man knows the day nor the hour ...

-Derrick S.