Forum: Ruby on Rails OT : Blogging host (free?) with tags/categories ?

peter.fitzgibbons (Guest)
HI All,

OT question : What would be a good (free) blogging host for me to join
that
uses tags/categories? I don't really have the funds to support a hosting
account (Unless $5 is the fee)

Thanks.
ben (Guest)
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005, Peter F. wrote:
> OT question : What would be a good (free) blogging host for me to join that
> uses tags/categories? I don't really have the funds to support a hosting
> account (Unless $5 is the fee)

I'm aware of three super-cheap options for blog hosting:

 * Planet Argon has typo hosting packages starting at $3/month
 * Rails Playground has a package that looks suitable for a blog at
   $12/year
 * Dreamhost is always super cheap, though not as much as the others,
   and lots of people really like them.

It should be noted that I know the Planet Argon people (Robby
@ robbyonrails.com and Jeremy @ jvoorhis.com) personally and
that they host the site for our local ruby group (PDX.rb -
http://www.pdxruby.org).  Judging from their IRC channel, they have a
bunch of satisfied customers.

One of the other PDX.rb members used Rails Playground for a while (when
they were free, I guess) and I don't really remember him complaining.
I'm sure others on the list have experience with them.

I don't know much about Dreamhost other than that they say they offer
rails and some people have it working.

Hope that helps :)
Ben
matt.ramos (Guest)
www.wordpress.com <http://www.wordpress.com>

Visit that site using the "Flock" browser and you get a free account. At
least.. you were getting a free account a week ago when you were on that
browser.
lists (Guest)
* On Nov 18 10:57, Matt R. (removed_email_address@domain.invalid) wrote:
> www.wordpress.com
>
> Visit that site using the "Flock" browser and you get a free account. At
> least.. you were getting a free account a week ago when you were on that
> browser.

Wordpress.com is now free to all, for the time being, and you don't have
to use Flock to get it.  Which is good on both counts.
Tom