Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails and Fedora Core 4

Andrew F. (Guest)
I have noticed a couple of weird things going on with our code and it
running completely different (causing errors where they weren't
before) between our dev environment and a new staging environment
that we are setting up. My dev environment is a PowerBook running
everything current except for edge rails.

Our staging envronment is Fedora Core 4 Ruby 1.8.4 installed via yum
ruby-devel
Ruby Gems
Rails 1.0
MySQL 5
ruby-fcgi/mysql
RMagick (and all that it requires)
Apache 2.0.54 acting as a proxy pass
Lighttpd as app server
FastCGI

I have noticed two things so far that are acting odd, first is that
acts_as_tree does nothing of the sort. I had a call to
object.parent.name and it croaked saying that parent was not a valid
method for class object. The second wierd thing is mentioned in a
previous email tonight. That having a dynamic_dir set up for
file_column complains:

ArgumentError (dynamic_dir' is not an instance method of class File):

Is there something wierd going on with Fedora? or is it just some
weird gremlin in the system that is causing errors to appear when
they never existed before?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew
Charlie B. (Guest)
on 2006-02-26 04:35
Andrew F. wrote:

> Is there something wierd going on with Fedora? or is it just some
> weird gremlin in the system that is causing errors to appear when
> they never existed before?

There are some known problems with fedora core 4.  You can google it and
find the details.  I use core 4 and I had a bear of a time getting rails
to work properly with legacy databases.  My problem had it's root with
the database bindings (primarily the c bindings).  I know this doesn't
help at all, but atleast you know you're not the only one with problems.