Forum: Ruby on Rails newbie advice

(Guest)
Hello Everyone -

Newbie here.  My programming experience is primarily SQL, SAS (if anyone
knows that), and a little tiny bit of ASP.  Want to get going on Rails.
Any suggestions?   Was thinking of "4 Days on Rails".  Thoughts?
Thanks - Brian
Jeff C. (Guest)
On Saturday, February 25, 2006, at 10:07 AM,
>Hello Everyone -
>
>Newbie here.  My programming experience is primarily SQL, SAS (if anyone
>knows that), and a little tiny bit of ASP.  Want to get going on Rails.
>Any suggestions?   Was thinking of "4 Days on Rails".  Thoughts?
>Thanks - Brian

Welcome Brian!

I started with this book: http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/
rails/index.html

and I read this book kind of simultaneously since I was new to Ruby:
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html

My blog may or may not be helpful (it's slanted a bit toward those of us
coming from a Microsoft background) but if you check out the "Getting
Started" and "Ruby Language" categories there might be something useful.

And of course to top it off is the community-run wiki on the Rails site
itself:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails

Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com