Forum: Ruby on Rails ANN: Nomic on Rails

Erling E. (Guest)
on 2006-02-25 12:28
"Nomic is a game in which changing the rules is a move. In that respect
it differs from almost every other game."

In the tradition of PerlNomic, SchemeNomic et al, I've made a simple
implementation of Nomic on Rails. It works like this: The game is run by
a Rails application. A player can propose a change to the "rules" of the
game in the form of a patch to the application itself. If a majority of
the players agree, the patch is automatically installed, and the game
continues with the new rules.

An earlier version of the game was won when one of the players snuck in
a rule that made it possible to inject Javascript into the application,
and forced the other players' browsers to vote for the "John wins" rule.
Another involved a coup in which some of the players passed a rule that
would hide all evidence of its own existence from the other players (the
code of the game is only visible through the application itself). If you
like that sort of thing, it can be quite interesting.

If anyone wants to try it, I've set up a fresh copy at
http://venomic.net/
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Feb 25, 2006, at 2:28 AM, Erling Ellingsen wrote:

> majority of
> that
> would hide all evidence of its own existence from the other players
> (the
> code of the game is only visible through the application itself).
> If you
> like that sort of thing, it can be quite interesting.
>
> If anyone wants to try it, I've set up a fresh copy at
> http://venomic.net/

Very cool Erling! I hope to get some free time to play a game ;)

-Ezra