Need help with form layout

Is there some way to format the layout of the fields within a form?
I’ve got about 10 fields that I’d like to lay out in a couple of
columns. Tried putting them in a table and that didn’t work too good.
Any pointers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

On Friday, February 24, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Bill W. wrote:

Is there some way to format the layout of the fields within a form?
I’ve got about 10 fields that I’d like to lay out in a couple of
columns. Tried putting them in a table and that didn’t work too
good. Any pointers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

I think the “easiest” way to do this would be to make each element use
relative positioning with CSS. I don’t think that there’s anything in
Rails that will help with the layout in this manner. Perhaps separating
each column into a partial, placing a div around each and then just
positioning the 2 divs might make it a little less confusing in the
stylesheet. I could be wrong though.

I’ve never given web design advice to a basketball legend before.

I don’t know if you are still looking for something to help with your
forms, but I have a plugin called simple_form that may help. You can
check it out into your vendor/plugins directory from svn:

http://opensvn.csie.org/calico_rails/simple_form

There is little documentation… I know, it’s a todo item.

Hope this helps.

Bill W. wrote:

Is there some way to format the layout of the fields within a form?
I’ve got about 10 fields that I’d like to lay out in a couple of
columns. Tried putting them in a table and that didn’t work too good.
Any pointers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Dylan,

I put a table with a nested ‘tr’ / ‘td’ structure and got unexplainable
behavior including rows being in a different order than you’d expect
from the code. I’d be happy to share the code and results if anybody’s
interested.

Thanks,
Bill

What’s wrong with at table or a definition list ?
I’ve used both, and my forms end up all nice and neat and such.
I may not understand the question fully.

--

Hi Steve,

I see some things in your plugin that look like they might be very
helpful.
My problem is that I’m so new to RoR that I’m heavily dependent on
documentation and/or list help like this. I’m pretty good at doing
documentation though, so if you’d be willing to provide some offline
help
with using it, I’d be willing to put my learning down in writing. If
you’re
interested, let me know.

Thanks,
Bill