Forum: Ruby on Rails Formatting values of numbers using text_field

Hogan, Brian P. (Guest)
Anyone have a quick solution on how to format a number in a text_field
tag?

<% text_field "price", "amount" %>  returns 100.0   and it would be nice
if it showed 100.00

Of course, number_with_precision works nicely, but how do you make that
work with text_field?

I thought maybe overriding the getter in the model. However, this means
I would have to bring the helper code into the model which I'm not sure
I like.

Brian H.
Web D.
Learning & Technology Services
Schofield 3-B
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
715 836 3585
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 24 Feb 2006, at 18:08, Hogan, Brian P. wrote:

> means I would have to bring the helper code into the model which
> I'm not sure I like.

If you mean formatting the field when the user exits the field, you
should use JavaScript (or write a small JavaScript Helper method, so
you can easily use it throughout your whole application) :

http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/j_a_03.htm

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Mark Reginald J. (Guest)
Hogan, Brian P. wrote:
> I like.
Yes, overriding the attribute getter and setter is what I do:

def amount_s
   '%.2f' % amount
end

def amount_s= (amount)