Forum: Ruby Re: Eating CPAN - Was Port A Library.

Molitor, Stephen L (Guest)
On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> having Ruby rewrites of the important/useful libraries would be
> *much* better.

Which are the most important/useful libraries?  I might like to try my
hand at one.

Steve
Charlie B. (Guest)
I would also like to know the answer to that question
Andrew J. (Guest)
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:35:17 +0900, Molitor, Stephen L
> On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:=20
>
>> having Ruby rewrites of the important/useful libraries would be
>> *much* better.
>
>  Which are the most important/useful libraries?  I might like to
>  try my hand at one.

In all honesty, and without being snide or facetious -- the most
import/useful libraries are the ones *you* think are. Hop on over to
CPAN and when you see something important/useful to you that doesn't
exist on RAA, there you go :-)

andrew
pat eyler (Guest)
On 2/21/06, Molitor, Stephen L <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > having Ruby rewrites of the important/useful libraries would be
> > *much* better.
>
> Which are the most important/useful libraries?  I might like to try my
> hand at one.

Maybe someone should start with

http://search.cpan.org/~saper/CPAN-Dependency/lib/...

(which won't help many rubyists directly, but would be a good
way to start a project like this.)
henon man (Guest)
> On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:=20
>  Which are the most important/useful libraries?  I might like to
>  try my hand at one.

well because you asked, there are soo many useful libs/tools @ CPAN:
i.e.
* UML::Sequence  	-  	draws sequence diagrams by running the code
* Algorithm::Diff  	Rpdfp  	Diff (also Longest Common Subsequence)
* Algorithm::Merge  	bpdfp  	Implements 3-way merge and diff algorithms
... etc.

;)
Andrew J. (Guest)
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:43:01 +0900, henon man
wrote:
>> On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:=3D20
>>  Which are the most important/useful libraries?  I might like to
>>  try my hand at one.
>
> well because you asked, there are soo many useful libs/tools @ CPAN: i.e.
> * UML::Sequence  =09-  =09draws sequence diagrams by running the code

don't know about that one ...

> * Algorithm::Diff  =09Rpdfp  =09Diff (also Longest Common Subsequence)
> * Algorithm::Merge  =09bpdfp  =09Implements 3-way merge and diff algorithms

But you might find these useful:
  http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/diff-lcs/
  http://rubyforge.org/projects/merge3/

andrew
Adam S. (Guest)
On 2/21/06, Andrew J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:43:01 +0900, henon man <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> > * Algorithm::Diff  =09Rpdfp  =09Diff (also Longest Common Subsequence)
> > * Algorithm::Merge  =09bpdfp  =09Implements 3-way merge and diff algorithms
>
> But you might find these useful:
>   http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/diff-lcs/
>   http://rubyforge.org/projects/merge3/

I did a port of Algorithm::Merge for the recent RubyQuiz #64. [
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby... ]
My port had some odd behaviour when running diff3 on a
character-by-character basis, but I wasn't able to confirm if it was a
porting bug or a problem with the original algorithm.  I stopped
working on it when I discovered merge3, which seems to offer better
merging logic anyway, but if anyone is interested in it, I could put
it on rubyforge, I guess.

-Adam