Forum: Ruby Install into $HOME fails

unknown (Guest)
I don't know how to install Ruby into my home directory. Looking
at the Makefile, I thought that

   make prefix=$HOME install

should do the job, but make still tries to install into /usr/local
(which fails because I don't have write-access there).

Any easy work-around to this?

Ronald
(Guest)
I believe you need to specify the prefix on the ./configure step:

../configure --prefix=$HOME
Christian N. (Guest)
removed_email_address@domain.invalid (Ronald F.) writes:

> I don't know how to install Ruby into my home directory. Looking
> at the Makefile, I thought that
>
>    make prefix=$HOME install
>
> should do the job, but make still tries to install into /usr/local
> (which fails because I don't have write-access there).
>
> Any easy work-around to this?

./configure --prefix=$HOME
make
make install
unknown (Guest)
> > I don't know how to install Ruby into my home directory. Looking
> > at the Makefile, I thought that
> >
> >    make prefix=$HOME install
> >
> > should do the job, but make still tries to install into /usr/local
> > (which fails because I don't have write-access there).

> /configure --prefix=$HOME

Thank you, this works.

It would be great if this information could be put into the README.

Ronald
George O. (Guest)
removed_email_address@domain.invalid  (Ronald F.) writes:

> Thank you, this works.
>
> It would be great if this information could be put into the README.

The README says to run ./configure to generate the Makefile.
../configure --help tells you all the configure options.

The configure script, and its --help option, is standard for things
that use autoconf (lots of stuff in the free software world).  I guess
it couldn't hurt to mention --help in the README, though.