Bill K. (Guest)

From: "Jonathan L." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> Where I work we have an Ubuntu server. I installed Ruby by compiling the
> 1.8.4 sources. According to the standard library documentation at
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/, the openssl library should be included
> in the standard distribution -- I need this in order to run SwitchTower.
> However, it doesn't appear to be there. I cannot require it, and
> checking in /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8 I cannot see anything to do with
> openssl. Anyone have any ideas? Am I supposed to do something else?

I don't know why it doesn't build automatically, but whenever I build
ruby from source, I do the following:

  cd ext/openssl
  make install

in order to build the ruby openssl extension.

(On debian, I also recall having needed to build the OpenSSL library
[not the ruby extension, but the system library] from a source package,
in order to get the needed header files.)

Hope this helps,

Bill
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Bill K. wrote:
> (On debian, I also recall having needed to build the OpenSSL library
> [not the ruby extension, but the system library] from a source package,
> in order to get the needed header files.)

Probably, you can just apt-get install libssl-dev.
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)

From: "Joel VanderWerf" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> Bill K. wrote:
>> (On debian, I also recall having needed to build the OpenSSL library
>> [not the ruby extension, but the system library] from a source package,
>> in order to get the needed header files.)
>
> Probably, you can just apt-get install libssl-dev.

Ahh, indeed, there it is, thanks:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/libdevel/libssl-dev

I think I looked for openssl-dev and hadn't found it.

Thx,

Bill
Jonathan L. (Guest)
On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 05:06 +0900, Bill K. wrote:
> > openssl. Anyone have any ideas? Am I supposed to do something else?
> [not the ruby extension, but the system library] from a source package,
> in order to get the needed header files.)

Thanks for the info.
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Pondelok 20 Február 2006 20:52 Jonathan L. napísal:
> Cheers
Can't quite reproduce this. Uninstalling everything ruby-related and
installing from 1.8.4 source worked perfectly as far as openssl is
concerned.
You apparently need to have libssl-dev installed for the build scripts
make it. (I apparently broke the readline support in the process...)

David V.