Forum: Ruby Re: DB2 Driver on RHEL 4 x86_64

Berger, Daniel (Guest)
> FWIW, I'm using DB2 8.1, and have set
> DB2DIR=/opt/IBM/db2/V8.1  ; I'm pretty sure the path is
> correct, and I'm installing as root.
>
> I'm trying to install from ruby-db2-0.4.4

<snip>

Is your Ruby 32 or 64 bit (i.e. what does (2**32).class return)?  Was
the underlying DB2 library built as 32 or 64 bit?

My initial guess is that you're trying to link a 64 bit Ruby against a
32 bit DB2 or vice-versa.

Try compiling the following program with "gcc -m64 -ldb2 -o foo foo.c"
and "gcc -m32 -ldb2 -o foo foo.c" and see what happens:

/* foo.c */
int main(){ return 0; }

Regards,

Dan
Costas (Guest)
When I enter ruby -version I get:
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [x86_64-linux]

I installed ruby from source using whatever compiler is on RHEL AS 4

I'm not trying to compile the program myself; I'm just using the
setup.rb file...  no clue how to compile manually...
Costas (Guest)
Oh, and 2**32 returns Fixnum on my x86_64 box.

Thanks in advance for your help...  Mustn't be a lot of people using
Ruby with DB2...
Chris McMahon (Guest)
I'm using Ruby with DB2.  But I'm using the ODBC interface rather than
the native DB2 libraries.  It works great, no hassles.
Daniel B. (Guest)
Costas wrote:
> Oh, and 2**32 returns Fixnum on my x86_64 box.

You've got a 64 bit Ruby then.

> Thanks in advance for your help...  Mustn't be a lot of people using
> Ruby with DB2...

What happened when you tried to compile that C program that I mentioned?

Regards,

Dan
Costas (Guest)
I get this: